White sludge in oil

white sludge in oil

• water in oil

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • some other ****

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truck is the 1992 in my sig, seems to only happen when it's 75 degree ambient temp or colder. What is this from? Possibly using oil stop leak?

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_154034.jpg
    IMG_20211121_154034.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 31

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Most likely moisture. Make sure the engine runs long enough to get the oil up to temp to boil out the moisture.

At least 20 minutes preferably an hour once in a while. If it's coolant that will ruin the bearings in short order.

Do an oil and filter change right away but do it overnight cold. The coolant will lay in the bottom of the pan.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Verify entire PCV system--vacuum, PCV valve operation, fresh-air inlet.

2. Verify thermostat isn't stuck open--assure engine reaches thermostat rating (195-ish degrees) in a reasonable amount of time.
Keep on mind I have a carbed 70s intake on it and 180 thermostat. The engine (on the gauge) runs 160 all the time. Should I change it to 195? When it's 100- 110 outside temp, this never happens.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote for moister. I've pulled valve covers off a barely run engine to adjust rockers and seen white stuff coating the inside of the alum covers.

Truck radiators are kinda big compared to cars with the same size engine, make sure you warm it up good. Small engine teach in high-school use to say, run your car 10 mins or 10 miles just to get the moister out of the engine/oil. Part of the oil's job is to contain contaminates and why engines sludge up if they aren't changed often enough as the oil becomes full of contaminates. Gotta burn that moister off.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep on mind I have a carbed 70s intake on it and 180 thermostat. The engine (on the gauge) runs 160 all the time. Should I change it to 195? When it's 100- 110 outside temp, this never happens.
Verify the accuracy of your gauge. I bet it's 20+ degrees inaccurate--too cold.

If it really is running at 160, you need a different thermostat. "I" would install a 190--195.

And you haven't said anything about testing the PCV system, which is my first thought on the source of this problem.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verify the accuracy of your gauge. I bet it's 20+ degrees inaccurate--too cold.

If it really is running at 160, you need a different thermostat. "I" would install a 190--195.

And you haven't said anything about testing the PCV system, which is my first thought on the source of this problem.
Drained radiator a bit. It runs 210 now all day long. That white sludge hasn't burned off. As for PCV I don't have it hooked up at all, both valve covers have open ports. you happen to have a diagram of how I should set it up?