Where the sbc 350 builds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dAT OBS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let here some number and spec on builds
Where the big torque number 350 I know you can build 383 built I'm not talking about that...just the good ol 350 you know the "Mighty Mouse"!!!!

From factory specs to high performance 350 motors, even budget build, or just cam swaps let's hear about them!!

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll start. A preface before I go; my 88 C1500 5.7L was overheating during the summer a few years back. It turns out my Mr Goodwrench long block I've had in it for around 15 years (don't know the mileage because the odometer broke about 3 years before) had blown head gaskets. Anyway, I decided to see what I could do kind of on the cheap to my TBI to get more performance and maybe MPG. I didn't want to go Vortec or LS, just took on the challenge. Well, that didn't work out since everything I read about the TBI was interdependent on each other, from the top to the exhaust. I could have just replaced the heads any left it there but, what's the fun in that? I still had to keep it somewhat mild so I can pass emissions. Here goes starting at the top:

Bored out to 46mm Throttle Body with "Ultimate Mods" and 61#/Hr flow matched injectors running @ 20PSI, Edelbrock Performer 3704 TBI intake manifold, Spectra Premium distributor (junk) now with AC Delco ICM, cap, and rotor. Pertronix coil (went bad in ~2,000 miles) now Accel coil. Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow) 170/69cc runners, 2.02"/1.60" valves, 62cc chamber TBI aluminum heads, Lunati Voodoo 10120700LK cam with 1.6 full roller rockers, shorty headers, mandrel bent "Y" pipe to 3" high flow cat and 3 chamber muffler. EBL Flash2 ECM (after trying to make the OE 1227747 work with 27SF512 flash chips but it's just too slow - 160 baud rate as apposed to 8196 IIRC), 2300 - 2500 stall TC, phase 2 700R4 (600HP rated after I blew the 1st one), 4.11 10 bolt rear end and 275/60R15 tires. I don't know how much HP it's putting out but I cut over 4 seconds off my ETs and it's a lot more fun to drive. Next I'm probably going to get a Lunch Box locker or a Detroit Tru-Track differential since I can still roast the one tire that spins, ha ha. I spent way too much money on this build but learned a hell of a lot about the TBI system. Sorry for the dissertation...

dAT OBS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for post sound like nice motor
The cam flat tap or roller??...and would ever think about going efi throttle body like the FiTech ??

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam flat tap or roller??...and would ever think about going efi throttle body like the FiTech ??
Not on this build, I just wanted to see what I could do with the OE TBI and the flat tappet cam. FWIU the FiTech is a good system but IMO it's more fun tuning your own - BTW I'm tuning with a WBO2 sensor so I can see AFR throughout the entire range.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not on this build, I just wanted to see what I could do with the OE TBI and the flat tappet cam. FWIU the FiTech is a good system but IMO it's more fun tuning your own - BTW I'm tuning with a WBO2 sensor so I can see AFR throughout the entire range.

Your posts are definitely not helping me avoid spending $375 on the super outdated JET DST software to try and mess with my '97 black box PCMs. I know it's impractical but it seems like it would be so much fun to play with.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your posts are definitely not helping me avoid spending $375 on the super outdated JET DST software to try and mess with my '97 black box PCMs. I know it's impractical but it seems like it would be so much fun to play with.
Hey , it's all fun! I'm mostly talking about TBI, TunerPro RT and/or EBL Flash2 ECM & software. Someday I may grow up to the more modern stuff like your Black box or even the 0411 PCM but, I'm still "Playing with TBI" for now, LMAO!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey , it's all fun! I'm mostly talking about TBI, TunerPro RT and/or EBL Flash2 ECM & software. Someday I may grow up to the more modern stuff like your Black box or even the 0411 PCM but, I'm still "Playing with TBI" for now, LMAO!

Oh I know, it was more the "tuning your own is more fun" sentiment that I was referring to. If anything I think the technology gets easier to use as it gets newer, the fact that you've done so much with the TBI system is awesome. Makes me think that maybe dragging a 20 year old laptop with a serial port out of the closet wouldn't be so bad compared to what the TBI guys have to go through. :lol:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me think that maybe dragging a 20 year old laptop with a serial port out of the closet wouldn't be so bad compared to what the TBI guys have to go through. :lol:
LMAO! We've gotten even more advance - I have an ALDL/USB cable for the old 1227747 ECM and the EBL even comes with its own USB cable that doesn't even go through the ALDL! So, I guess I may even be close to the 21st century! Like I said, this stuff is fun maybe even addicting, to see what you can do screwing with factory stuff and making it go faster and perform better. I know you have Black Bear tunes on yous but, wouldn't it be nice if you can do it yourself? As Dennis Miller used to say "That's my opinion - I may be wrong" LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW - I'm running an HP laptop with Windows 10, haven't even fired up the old Gateway with Vista in a while, ha ha.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
I've been thinking about 411 swapping the black box and trying tunerpro and ls droid on a vortec. I dont have a truck to put it in at the moment but might be getting closer to one.

As far as builds go I've got a few going. Today I finished a motor with a l31 short block and tbi top for a k1500 I picked up cheap. It's a running truck now. Mostly I take the best of bits and pieces I get from the bone piles and see what I can make from them. Right now I'm working on 6 of them, I'm still not really sure how they are multiplying so fast.