Wheel bearing maintenance; repack or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always purchased from an automotive parts store. I buy by application. (walk in, ask for an inner front bearing for a '65 Caprice. Or inner and outer bearings for a '77 Nova. Or inner and outer front bearings for a '94 C1500.)

I actually looked-up front bearings for a '94 C1500; seems the inner is a Set 5, and the outer is a Set 3. About $7 each.

Wild Guess: "Imperial" sizing.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PGR...l+Bearing+-+Front&keywordInput=wheel+bearings

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PGR...l+Bearing+-+Front&keywordInput=wheel+bearings

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes that's what I do at the local parts store. Back in the day (1978-87), I might look them up by the bearing part number stamped in it, but I don't know if they still have the catalogs with the interchange in the back or if modern parts jocks know how to use it. Another reason I have a reliable parts person! Not everyone knows how to use and read the catalogs and the database

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I do at the local parts store. Back in the day (1978-87), I might look them up by the bearing part number stamped in it, but I don't know if they still have the catalogs with the interchange in the back or if modern parts jocks know how to use it. Another reason I have a reliable parts person! Not everyone knows how to use and read the catalogs and the database
So true.

The bearing assembly (inner race, cage, rollers) has a number stamped into it; and the outer race has a number stamped into it.

You can buy replacements by ordering the bearing assembly (some folks call this a "cone", but that's not a term I like) by number. Same with the outer race (some folks call this a "cup". I'm not fond of the entire "Cups and Cones" terminology, but it exists.)

The idea is that a bearing assembly can be used with any one of several different outer races. Any outer race might be used with one of several bearing assemblies.

The common pairings of bearing assemblies and outer races is called a "Set". So as mentioned above, a "Set 3" and a "Set 5" describes the outer and inner bearings and races for a C1500. You could go to most any bearing supplier and ask for a Set 3 or Set 5 bearing, and get a functional equivalent.

My photo of the Toronado bearings in an earlier post--two bearing assemblies, two outer races, and the select-fit spacer--is identified by BR-23, the manufacturer's equivalent to a Set 23.

Buying the "Set" is generally less-expensive than buying the two pieces individually, assuming that what you're working on is popular enough to have a pre-packaged "Set".

Problem is, there's nothing in the stamped-in numbers to indicate what "Set" you need. I went through that when ordering side bearings for a Truetrack differential. I had to use The Power Of The Internet to discover I needed a pair of Set 76 bearings, which are still on back order at Summit. Two bearings at $46 is cheaper than the "installation kit" that comes with a bunch of stuff I don't need, at ~$140.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason I ask about bearing suppliers is being in the UK, I'm limited for suppliers for GM specific parts. With the (bearing) dimensions I can go to a bearing supplier. Here though, they tend to carry metric sized. I measured the spindle(?) part the outer inner race mounts on with a micrometer and it was 26.1mm. Not very imperial!
If I knew the imperial sizing I'd try bearing suppliers. They probably can supply imperial as in Aberdeen, they service the North Sea oil industry and pretty sure they work in imperial.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most good bearing suppliers can recognize the number stamped on your bearings/races since each manufacturer has their own nomenclature, and he'll be able to cross it over to whatever brand he carries or you want to order.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve always replaced any bearing I could with a Timken bearing. At this mileage would replace both bearing, bearing race and seal. I would t replace them at every service interval. That’s just throwing money away imo

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’ve always replaced any bearing I could with a Timken bearing. At this mileage would replace both bearing, bearing race and seal. I would t replace them at every service interval. That’s just throwing money away imo

SKF is another good name, although I haven't installed them, yet. I've got some new Timken hubs for my Saturn and the bearings are actually SKF.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SKF is another good name, although I haven't installed them, yet. I've got some new Timken hubs for my Saturn and the bearings are actually SKF.
IMO, SKF are about the best, or at least were the best around. Made in Sweden with higher quality alloys. Who knows any more? Timken aren't what they used to be either, made all over the world, as about everything is anymore.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes they are a good brand, you just have to see where everything is made anymore. A lot of the Chinese steel isn't properly hardened and so it doesn't hold up. Any of y'all that have had a cheap pocket knife know what I'm talking about. What I was taught to do was to clean the bearings really well and inspect them for damage. The seal in the back side of the rotor (the inside) is likely to be damaged removing it, and they're relatively cheap compared to the bearings. The seal gets replaced with a new one if it's gotten bent up taking it out of the rotor. It holds the inner bearing in place so it needs to be good. Some types have a lip on them so they only reassemble one way. If there's no lip then the side where the rubber seal is goes to the outside.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason I ask about bearing suppliers is being in the UK, I'm limited for suppliers for GM specific parts. With the (bearing) dimensions I can go to a bearing supplier. Here though, they tend to carry metric sized. I measured the spindle(?) part the outer inner race mounts on with a micrometer and it was 26.1mm. Not very imperial!
If I knew the imperial sizing I'd try bearing suppliers. They probably can supply imperial as in Aberdeen, they service the North Sea oil industry and pretty sure they work in imperial.

I measured the spindle(?) part the outer inner race mounts on with a micrometer and it was 26.1mm. Not very imperial!

Should have read - Not very metric.

Most good bearing suppliers can recognize the number stamped on your bearings/races since each manufacturer has their own nomenclature, and he'll be able to cross it over to whatever brand he carries or you want to order.

When I had mine apart the only number was on one of the inner races and therefore didn't define the OD of the outer race. The other bearing had no numbers.
If anyone knows the imperial sizing, it'd be good to know - given mine will need replacing soonish.