Rebuild or Replace?

Replace or rebuild motor?

• Rebuild

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Replace

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

i3vil

Reaction score
Intake manifold leaks do not create bubbles. It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket and/or a crack in a head. From what I've been hearing these modern heads crack from normal heat cycles over time. Not saying yours are but something to have checked if you pull the heads. If you don't have a lot of mechanical experience then a basic head job would be a good place to start. Most everything will only require normal hand tools,the only special tool you will need is a torque wrench. Whether you do this yourself or farm it out replace that old radiator. Kind of like buying insurance.
I see what you’re saying. Do you think doing a full rebuild would be too much then? Because I’m at over 360k and I’d rather do the whole thing then just each part as it goes out

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you’re saying. Do you think doing a full rebuild would be too much then? Because I’m at over 360k and I’d rather do the whole thing then just each part as it goes out
The engine is over half its life span. I don't know your skill level so you will have to decide how far you want to go. If you have never done a complete rebuild and don't have to tools for it you would be better off with a brand new long block. Even the good builders of the past are not doing such great work these days so buying rebuilt is a crap shoot.

i3vil

Reaction score
The engine is over half its life span. I don't know your skill level so you will have to decide how far you want to go. If you have never done a complete rebuild and don't have to tools for it you would be better off with a brand new long block. Even the good builders of the past are not doing such great work these days so buying rebuilt is a crap shoot.
What special tools would I need, I have the basic stuff, wrenches, sockets, impact wrench. As well as an assortment of hand and power tools from my work, I do maintenance on houses.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know if run with radiator cap removed it WILL overheat. Part of cooling system design in modern engines is a pressure, heat exchange cooling. If your cap is good, meaning seals are good ,cap pressure checked good. It's not the cap unless the radiator cap neck is damaged. Some coolant expansion from heat is normal , that's the expansion tanks job, catch, hold, return. If after reaching normal temp, continues to rise, and the cap is venting coolant and bubbles into expansion tank.
Is it overheating from a lack of cooling, faulty thermostat, clogged water passage, clogged radiator tubes, radiator and or condenser packed full of bugs, grass, rags, dead birds, pine cones, oak leaves, etc.
Have you done a dynamic and differential cylinder compression checks. That would give you an idea of cylinder condition. And worn , what areas my be worn, and possibly identify head gasket condition.
Those checks would give you a little more information to help with decisions.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What special tools would I need, I have the basic stuff, wrenches, sockets, impact wrench. As well as an assortment of hand and power tools from my work, I do maintenance on houses.
Your can't rebuild an engine with a skillsaw.
Have you ever successfully rebuilt any kind of engine?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know if run with radiator cap removed it WILL overheat. Part of cooling system design in modern engines is a pressure, heat exchange cooling. If your cap is good, meaning seals are good ,cap pressure checked good. It's not the cap unless the radiator cap neck is damaged. Some coolant expansion from heat is normal , that's the expansion tanks job, catch, hold, return. If after reaching normal temp, continues to rise, and the cap is venting coolant and bubbles into expansion tank.
Is it overheating from a lack of cooling, faulty thermostat, clogged water passage, clogged radiator tubes, radiator and or condenser packed full of bugs, grass, rags, dead birds, pine cones, oak leaves, etc.
Have you done a dynamic and differential cylinder compression checks. That would give you an idea of cylinder condition. And worn , what areas my be worn, and possibly identify head gasket condition.
Shouldn't overheat without a cap just sitting there idling and if it's not puking I wouldn't think the thermostat is bad.

i3vil

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it’ll overheat that’s why i said it was when I tried bleeding it, but it overheats on the road which I also said. But yeah I’ll try that dynamic and differential test