3rd Rebuild on 98 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron Davies

Reaction score
Were the oil cooler lines flushed out before the rebuilt engines were installed? Metal from the previous engine can lurk in there and take out the new engine. GM engines require the radiator be replaced or warranty void. Don't ask how I know.
So this was done the first time but same radiator and oil cooler lines, were used the second time ‍♂️.

This would make sense as to why they won’t rebuild the motor a 2nd time around, because they know they ****** up, and don’t want to admit it.

Aaron Davies

Reaction score
I think I am just going to put a reman engine in, and add an upgraded intake manifold, headers and the plug and play electronic fuel injection system(MPI).

“Fraisers Engines,

The base engine consists of:

•A cast-iron engine block and cylinder head
•Overhead Valve (OHV) design
•Hydraulic roller camshaft

The engine specifications include:
  • A displacement of 350 cubic inches (5.7 liters)
  • 4.00 in x 3.48 in (101.6 mm x 88.4 mm) cylinder bore and piston stroke
  • 8.5:1, 9.2:1, or 9.5:1 compression ratio
  • 190 to 330 horsepower (142 to 246 kW) at 4,000 to 5,200 rpm
  • 300 to 380 lb-ft (407 to 515 Nm) of torque at 2,400 to 4,000 rpm”

So asking everyone now lol, does this sound correct from the replies, or am I missing anything or misunderstanding anything??

In addition, should I flush and replace fluid in all systems and as far as sensors and wire connectors and other electrical components go?

What can I reuse and transfer, what should I replace and what should I be wary of/pay close attention to in addition?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you re-use and transfer is going to be somewhat dependent on the aftermarket fuel injection system you're getting. Examples: If it comes with it's own sensors, you won't be re-using any of the existing sensors. If it comes with it's own ignition system, you won't re-use your distributor/module.

It'd be "standard practice" to have the radiator cleaned if not replaced. Coolant hoses probably replaced at the same time. How old are the starter, alternator, water pump? Does the A/C work, and if not, do you want it to? How old is the serpentine belt and tensioner? Verify the flexplate--they have a known weakness that leads to cracking.

"I" would be suspicious of any company selling a Chevy small block that thinks they need to advertise that it's an OHV engine, and provides stock bore specs on a rebuilt engine that's likely .030 or more over-bored. Same with the vague compression-ratio specs. But if you feel comfortable with them, and they have a reasonable warranty policy that doesn't require you to spend excessive money fixing their mistakes...go for it.

"I" would not buy an aftermarket fuel injection system when the vehicle already has a fuel-injection system on it that I already own. But that's me, and others are very comfortable with the aftermarket systems.

Aaron Davies

Reaction score
Y
What you re-use and transfer is going to be somewhat dependent on the aftermarket fuel injection system you're getting. Examples: If it comes with it's own sensors, you won't be re-using any of the existing sensors. If it comes with it's own ignition system, you won't re-use your distributor/module.

It'd be "standard practice" to have the radiator cleaned if not replaced. Coolant hoses probably replaced at the same time. How old are the starter, alternator, water pump? Does the A/C work, and if not, do you want it to? How old is the serpentine belt and tensioner? Verify the flexplate--they have a known weakness that leads to cracking.

"I" would be suspicious of any company selling a Chevy small block that thinks they need to advertise that it's an OHV engine, and provides stock bore specs on a rebuilt engine that's likely .030 or more over-bored. Same with the vague compression-ratio specs. But if you feel comfortable with them, and they have a reasonable warranty policy that doesn't require you to spend excessive money fixing their mistakes...go for it.

"I" would not buy an aftermarket fuel injection system when the vehicle already has a fuel-injection system on it that I already own. But that's me, and others are very comfortable with the aftermarket systems.
You’d recommended upgrading the current fuel injectors to MPI instead of EFI, for better performance, but maybe that was only if I did the stroker. The MPI system I looked at is plug and play.

The reman I’m looking at is $1695 with a 3 year/unlimited miles warranty on it. My starter, water pump and alternator are brand new and it does have AC and it works.

My flex plate is good and I will plan on flushing the coolant system, hoses are new, and I’ll be replacing my oil cooler lines. Should I replace the oil cooler on my radiator? My radiator is new as well.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM-style electronic injector system (versus the OEM poppet-style) IS EFI, just a different version of EFI. Both the electronic injectors and the poppets are "multi-port injection" (MPI) systems.

Yes, by all means get the electronic injector system.

WHAT "upgraded" intake manifold are you thinking of? I'd keep the stock manifold, upgrade the poppet injectors to electronic, and put it on.

Consider flushing the oil cooler. If the old engine put debris in the oil, you may want to replace it. If the old engine didn't contaminate the oil with particles/chunks/pieces, the cooler should be OK although I'd still flush the thing.

I'd transfer all the accessories since you know their history, and you're certain they're not ready to fail.

Aaron Davies

Reaction score
The OEM-style electronic injector system (versus the OEM poppet-style) IS EFI, just a different version of EFI. Both the electronic injectors and the poppets are "multi-port injection" (MPI) systems.

Yes, by all means get the electronic injector system.

WHAT "upgraded" intake manifold are you thinking of? I'd keep the stock manifold, upgrade the poppet injectors to electronic, and put it on.

Consider flushing the oil cooler. If the old engine put debris in the oil, you may want to replace it. If the old engine didn't contaminate the oil with particles/chunks/pieces, the cooler should be OK although I'd still flush the thing.

I'd transfer all the accessories since you know their history, and you're certain they're not ready to fail.

Well then, that makes a lot more sense to me lol, thank you for clarifying :)

Thank you for all the great information Sir!! I’m looking forward to the project in August.