What oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for our truck we just use what ever autozone has that is on sale, the last time it was a fram tough gaurd filter (what is always on sale) and we got some dura blend stuff i dont remember who makes it, but it is the best we have had in it, its the only one that isnt black in a month

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im using Walmart (supertech) 15-40 diesel oil, $9.50 4.4L jug and NAPA Gold filter, $6.67, cheap oil change, 267,000kms, burns between 1-2L on oil changes.
Hopefully winter I will buy a rebuilt 350.

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy at my local NAPA say he runs Rotella 15/40. Told me it's one of the few oils that still has all the detergents in it. Swears by it. Any opinions?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If I can ever get the weather to cooperate with my intake manifold gasket replacement job I have 5 quarts of Chevron Delo 400LE 15W-40 to throw in 'er.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Guy at my local NAPA say he runs Rotella 15/40. Told me it's one of the few oils that still has all the detergents in it. Swears by it. Any opinions?

Yeah unless the truck is eating 3 quarts every oil change you really don't want to run something that heavy. You always want to run the thinnest oil possible for best performance and efficiency. The harder your oil pump has to work, the quicker it will die. With a lighter weight oil the pump can push more oil through the system without working as hard. My 94 has over 300k on the original motor and has been on 10w30 conventional since new. It has zero leaks and uses zero oil between changes. For the last 8 or so years I have used Mobil Clean 5,000(now called Super 5,000) and either a Wix, Mobil 1 or AC Delco filter. I should mention that while most Delco filters are great quality they do change suppliers and the last time I was at O-Reilly's the Delco filters appeared to be rebadged fram crap. Extremely light and cheaply made. Just pop the box open and look inside the filter, you can tell right away. The oil is guaranteed for 5k but because of the heavy towing I always change it at 2500-3k.

brownbear

Reaction score
Yeah unless the truck is eating 3 quarts every oil change you really don't want to run something that heavy. You always want to run the thinnest oil possible for best performance and efficiency. The harder your oil pump has to work, the quicker it will die. With a lighter weight oil the pump can push more oil through the system without working as hard. My 94 has over 300k on the original motor and has been on 10w30 conventional since new. It has zero leaks and uses zero oil between changes. For the last 8 or so years I have used Mobil Clean 5,000(now called Super 5,000) and either a Wix, Mobil 1 or AC Delco filter. I should mention that while most Delco filters are great quality they do change suppliers and the last time I was at O-Reilly's the Delco filters appeared to be rebadged fram crap. Extremely light and cheaply made. Just pop the box open and look inside the filter, you can tell right away. The oil is guaranteed for 5k but because of the heavy towing I always change it at 2500-3k.
20-50 is all i run in my motor advanced auto parts brand

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run Hi mileage motor oils when there on sale at CT or Walmart, just bought a case of Wix filters after seein inside Frams junk filters.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JollyGreen.....

My truck has used Mobil 1 Synthetic since it had 22 miles on it. It burns no oil, (it does use some, but once I fix this oil filter adapter I'll be good to go) and my engine has zero sludge in it.

Replaced the valve covers the other day, and they looked like they just came off the line, no exaggeration. I couldn't believe it.

Granted, these engines have been around since the days before multi-viscosity oil was standard, but 5W-30 is what is recommended. People run 10, 15, and 20W30 in it, but I think anything thicker than 10W-30 is just stupid. You can really risk damaging stuff by using oil that is too thick when it is colder out.

In AZ, 5W-30 or 10W-30 is fine, due to the climate, but don't go any thicker.

In all honesty, I've run 5W-20 in this thing (it was on sale....) and it ran just fine with it. Oil pressure was about 10 PSI lower though.