What oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thanks for the all the input. I've always used conventional oil (Castrol), even in my NBS '02 years ago. I don't know if there is any one oil that's head and shoulders above the others, whether it be Mobil, Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc. I do believe highly in keeping the oil/filter changed regularly because there isn't an oil out there that will help you when negligence is involved.

I was mainly wanting to know if switching to a particular brand or going from syn to dino would be beneficial for cutting down on oil usage. Everyone's truck uses oil, but I thought I could cut down on the 1 qt I used during the past 5,000 miles. The oil does look good. It doesn't look black at all which is a good sign. I've never personally used Pennzoil, but I wanted to keep using what the previous owner was putting in it.

I think I'm going to change it with some Castrol Syn or Mobil, (although the Rotella T6 looks interesting as well), then see how she likes it. By the way...what filters do you all run? I've always used Wix on my trucks and on the farm equipment when I was doing that regularly. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Reaction score
I've used standard motor oil in my Monte Carlo, and added Lucas oil stabilizer when my valve stem seals were starting to go, it prevented oil leaking into the cylinders, and eliminated smoky starts.

As for the Tahoe, I'm using Castrol GTX high mileage (5w-30) With a Purolator Pure One filter (PL24011).

I've been using this same oil and filter combination for my parents on their Tahoe (1997 LS 4 door) and have had great results, even after their lower intake gasket failed, and dumped about a gallon of coolant into the oil.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually use Wix or Mobile one filters. Depends what is on sale with the oil I buy. I usually avoid fram and store brand filters they seem to crush to easy unless you get the fram tough gaurd. I also avoid K&N oil filters mostly just because they are designed for flow a lot of oil and only have a 90% multipass efficiency, Great for racing or a serious high hp off road mudding truck, but not for a daily driven truck.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the all the input. I've always used conventional oil (Castrol), even in my NBS '02 years ago. I don't know if there is any one oil that's head and shoulders above the others, whether it be Mobil, Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc. I do believe highly in keeping the oil/filter changed regularly because there isn't an oil out there that will help you when negligence is involved.

I was mainly wanting to know if switching to a particular brand or going from syn to dino would be beneficial for cutting down on oil usage. Everyone's truck uses oil, but I thought I could cut down on the 1 qt I used during the past 5,000 miles. The oil does look good. It doesn't look black at all which is a good sign. I've never personally used Pennzoil, but I wanted to keep using what the previous owner was putting in it.

I think I'm going to change it with some Castrol Syn or Mobil, (although the Rotella T6 looks interesting as well), then see how she likes it. By the way...what filters do you all run? I've always used Wix on my trucks and on the farm equipment when I was doing that regularly. Thanks again.

Wix are great filters, use them every day servicing equipment at work (CAT and Deere hoes, dozers, graders, etc) and on the home front. I've been using a Purolator P1 in my Burban, seems to hold up just fine. Switched to it after I got some startup rattle with the Wix 51060 that I'd been using for years. Didn't fix the problem, but I have a small supply of the P1's that I'll finish off, then likely back to Wix. The T6 did help the rattle, in case you're wondering :).

Everybody and their brother has a story about what oil they use and why. The MOST important part (as has been stated) is to just keep it changed. Plenty of cars kicking 200k - 300k plus with no issues using whatever was on sale. The greatest oil and filter in the world won't do any better if it isn't serviced when it's supposed to be. That said, rock whatever you like :rocking:.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everybody and their brother has a story about what oil they use and why. The MOST important part (as has been stated) is to just keep it changed. Plenty of cars kicking 200k - 300k plus with no issues using whatever was on sale. The greatest oil and filter in the world won't do any better if it isn't serviced when it's supposed to be. That said, rock whatever you like :rocking:.[/QUOTE]

Word!

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everybody and their brother has a story about what oil they use and why. The MOST important part (as has been stated) is to just keep it changed. Plenty of cars kicking 200k - 300k plus with no issues using whatever was on sale. The greatest oil and filter in the world won't do any better if it isn't serviced when it's supposed to be. That said, rock whatever you like :rocking:.

Word![/QUOTE]

Quote of the day!

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wix filters are the best ive seen and i cut mine open on my race car... it has wix racing filter... ive cut just about all the filter open just to see what they got going on in there lol an fram is just junk!!!

my truck has right at 300,000... when i got it, it had 110,000... it dont burn 1 drop of oil...

oh yeah yall guys are leaving JOE GIBBS out....

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
In 99% of the cases, oil is oil. Use whatever you want with a good filter and it won't matter what brand or type it is. I run Mobil Delvac 5w40 (aka diesel oil) and change the filter at 5K miles, then change the oil at around 10K miles. Been doing this for years. Otherwise I'd be changing the **** every other weekend.

Reaction score
Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30.

this is what i just used to change my oil yesterday. also found a FRAm "High Mileage" oil filter that helps keep your oil good. i have 183866 miles on my yukon. drained the oil, pitch black. but i trust the high mileage Castrol oil and filter. From my haynes manual it said to use 5W-30 for really cold weather and then 10w-30 for warmer temps and living in vegas YEAH its hot as hell here.