Motor Purr - Tune Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oriley

Reaction score
89 K1500
350 140k Miles
Use 5-30 Synthetic Blend

Valve stem seals are leaking, smokes like crazy for a block or so.
Haven't driven much last few years but uses very little oil.
Nephew owns a shop for many years, says to use Motor Purr, "great stuff".

Directions says idle for 20 minutes, MP chat says I can leave it in longer
but do change to oil afterwards.
Nephew says just pour it in an drive it, it'll evaporate in 24 hours. ???

Doing a Google I think it was a Dodge page says it works for a while
then it'll start leaking with a vengeance. ???

Anyone try this stuff?

Thanks

Attachments

• Truckster1ss.jpg
    Truckster1ss.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 3

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace your valve seals. Get an air adapter for your spark plug holes and change the seals with the heads still on the engine. Be sure and lay a rag in the heads so your keepers don't disappear.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might try a high mileage oil to see if it helps. It's supposed to swell old seals, rubber, etc., might work and can't hurt.
Waste of time.

If the valve stem seals are that old, the pieces that have broken off are now in the oil pan. No oil is going to glue them back together.

Excellent chance that the seals wiped-out because the guide wore-out. New seals will help...for about two thousand miles and then the excess valve stem clearance will have the new seals wiped-out.

"I" would be VERY CAREFUL after removing the valve springs, piston at TDC, remove air pressure holding valves shut, and then wiggle the valve stem in the guide to assess clearance/wear.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably easier said than done these days, I think pretty much everything from the major manufacturers is a "synthetic blend" now.
I use rotela in everything. The oil police will probably have something to say about it but it’s never failed me. I use it in my wife’s truck with 167k miles and it still has the FACTORY DOD lifters, big cubic inch BBC alky motor, nitrous small blocks, lawn mower etc. I buy it in bulk