Motor Purr - Tune Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get away from the synthetic blend and run a thicker conventional oil. Synthetics will find all your leaks.
What proof of that do do you have? If you have oil leaks then your maintenance is lacking.
Those " motor purr" , or other products may help with sludge or other build up from age and time, but in no way can they repair what gone through wear and time. That is science not an advertisement. :3811797817_8d685371

Oriley

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, couple points.

~Pushing 73 I'll change the oil and grease but that's about it.
~Nephew was gonna do the seals. Last lap of the race took a
big rock to the front of his helmet, bad concussion, out of action.
~Just started the synthetic blend, bad smoke was before that.

Back many decades one of my 58 Pontiacs had a bad automatic
transmission leak. Guy at our little Texaco gave a 'something'
to pour in, never leaked again. ???

Watched one video of a guy doing seals, they were all mush. :mad:

I wanna try it so bad, doesn't leak a drop, hate to make it worse.
Hardly drive it. I've got a 98 Crown Vic LX with 38k miles, don't
drive that much either.

Thanks again, I'll think on this. :cool:

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Waste of time.

If the valve stem seals are that old, the pieces that have broken off are now in the oil pan. No oil is going to glue them back together.

Excellent chance that the seals wiped-out because the guide wore-out. New seals will help...for about two thousand miles and then the excess valve stem clearance will have the new seals wiped-out.

"I" would be VERY CAREFUL after removing the valve springs, piston at TDC, remove air pressure holding valves shut, and then wiggle the valve stem in the guide to assess clearance/wear.
^^^THIS^^^ is Your answer OP Oriley; my experience confirms "THIS" as well. Wiggle it!

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe oil additives are mostly snake oil. A gimmik. A waste of money and hopes.
However, I have seen 1 additive work. A product made by atp, called re-seal. (at-205). It softens rubber. A salesman came in claiming it works miracles on rubber. I gave him a hardened rubber windshield wiper, he rubbed the stuff on the wiper, and in 10 minutes it was pliable like new. I actually used the wiper myself then.
What I'm saying is, there are products out there that can extend the life of seals, but it's not going to be a "fix". It's a bandaid. If you can let the vehicle sit to get new seals put in, or investigate further issues, do that. Save your money and hopes. Mechanics don't come in a bottle.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High-mileage oil has additives in it to soften/swell rubber. High-mileage and regular oils are about the same price, so it's basically free.