What oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mobile 1 conventional 10W30 or Valvoline Conventional 10W30. Although during the winter I'll run a little thinner oil due to the cold temps. As far as Pennzoil goes, I personally wouldn't use it if someone gave me a free lifetime supply of it. If you want to run a synthetic, I would recommend (depending on your price range) Mobil 1 or NAPA's house brand synthetic. I've heard/had nothing but good things about either, and both aren't too expensive. Now if cost isn't in the equation, AmsOil.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mobile 1 conventional 10W30 or Valvoline Conventional 10W30. Although during the winter I'll run a little thinner oil due to the cold temps. As far as Pennzoil goes, I personally wouldn't use it if someone gave me a free lifetime supply of it. If you want to run a synthetic, I would recommend (depending on your price range) Mobil 1 or NAPA's house brand synthetic. I've heard/had nothing but good things about either, and both aren't too expensive. Now if cost isn't in the equation, AmsOil.

"Double the mileage in between changes with amsoil"... I used ams a couple times in a row and went back to royal purple. Comes down to personal choice regardless of price, product etc. The truck always feels a little more peppy after a change with RP over any other product, could just be me.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Double the mileage in between changes with amsoil"... I used ams a couple times in a row and went back to royal purple. Comes down to personal choice regardless of price, product etc. The truck always feels a little more peppy after a change with RP over any other product, could just be me.

Very true! Oil all comes down to personal preferance regardless of the results. As far as amsoil goes, my father personallys know Dick Amatuzio, he and his brother started amsoil. So when it comes to synthetics, i tend to lean that direction. Amsoil owns the motorsports racing market (sleds, bikes, etc), and I've seen really impressive numbers in the automotive industry also. Royal Purpal is also some VERY good oil, pricey just like amsoil but also very good stuff!

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Z28 - Penzoil Platinum full synthetic
Blazer - Penzoil non-synthetic

Not all oil is created equally. I base my decision on what I've read about the breakdown of the oils after 3K miles. I use to swear by Mobil 1 until I read those reports.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually run castrol, valvoline, or mobile 1 synthetic 10w30 just depends on what we got on sale at work when it's oil change time for me. I got castrol syn 10-30 in it right now that i just put in it about 200 miles ago.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
4 qts Castrol Syntec 5w30, 1 qt Castrol 15w40. I'd like to keep my cam around until I can go roller.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there's not really a right or wrong answer but I'm trying cut down on how much oil I'm burning. With 140,000 on it, 1 quart over 5,000 miles isn't horrible, but I'd like to see if there's something that would lessen that. Maybe I should try Mobil 1 or Royal Purple??? Also, it calls for 5W-30...so maybe trying something a bit heavier? I'm out in Arizona, so that could help it as well???

Considering your options, I would say to try some Rotella T6 5W40. That would give you a bit more viscosity for the Arizona heat, a full synthetic formulation, a strong additive pack to keep the engine clean, and good shear resistance so it'll stay in grade. I've been running it in my 250k mile Burban and love it. Lose less than a half a quart between changes (and that's with a couple of minor leaks/drips).

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Castol GTX in my piece of crap truck's, and Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the nice ones, 10w-30 all around.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Quakerstate High Mileage 10w30.

My whole family runs Quakerstate, and no one has had an engine problem (immediate family)

My truck - 220k miles (bought with 189k)
Moms truck - 245k (bought with 74k)
Dads car - 189k (bought with 32k)
Sisters car - 194k (bought with 99k)

Quakerstate ftw.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know, I have spent alot of time beating this subject to death in all the GM forums....About what oil is BEST for TBI, you know. There is alot of rave about synthetic and alot of talk about the dino oil. I use just regular old dino oil, whatever autozone is having a sale on...Which lately it's been Peak 10-w30 and STP oil filter for like $16!!! Basically, I tried to analyze every type of oil to find a clear better, but basically I think it's all jibberish. I think all dino oil is basically the same. The only reason I haven't gone full synthetic or whatever is because my truck is 200,000 mile truck. Even though I have a relatively new engine and tranny I'm skeptical about changing it up since it's been so used to dino oil.

I figured what was more important than finding the "perfect" oil, was keeping it fresh and changed. I do the filter everytime I change the oil and keep a strict eye on the color of the oil. As soon as it looses that transparency and goes more black, I change it regardless of miles or months it's been since the last change. Which usually it comes right out to every 3 months I change, since I don't drive the truck 24.7, and have other DD vehicles. Before I started using Peak, I was using Pennzoil strictly. I don't even know why. I think my HS shop teacher swore by it and it stuck with me but now, just whatever. I think it's all the same.