What oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can easily run a bigger filter, like I said the Wix 51069 is taller than that and still clears the drive shaft. I am not sure what the RP equivalent is but it will cross.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked for that one, but Pep Boys doesn't have WIX. After seeing all that room, I'm going to find that one next time. I'd feel better between oil changes with a longer filter.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oreilys has them for sure, just looked and the height is 4.338" tall. Yes the more filter media the better, don't want to risk your new swapped engine

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this today/yesterday. Here are some pices of the 51069 clearance. Its tight, but I can get my hand between the filter and driveshaft where it is right now. It will be much closer when the shaft turns 90* though. This also gave me higher oil pressure? I didnt use the mr. gasket adapter, but a GM one I had on another small block...

You must be registered for see images attach

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
the only way it would give more pressure would be from the old filter being extremely clogged i would think.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah pressure has been the same since I bought it until this. I did all this about 250 miles early from the scheduled change so the old filter should have been fine.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was there an oil cooler hooked up before this? Would explain the pressure increase. I was going to do this mod but instead just replaced my oil cooler lines.

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
My truck originally came with an oil cooler, and oil pressure was ~60psi at cold idle. I replaced the oil filter adapter with the parts shown in the OP, and now my cold idle pressure is up quite a bit from there.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there an oil cooler hooked up before this? Would explain the pressure increase. I was going to do this mod but instead just replaced my oil cooler lines.

Yes my lines were leaking an I had the adapter on hand so I just deleted the lines instead of replacing

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is why psi I went up, mine did the same when I deleted my oil cooler lines.