What oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
1995 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 w/5.7ltr engine, A/T

Since the oil cooler lines, and the oil cooler gasket & o-ring are all leaking like a sieve, I am going to replace the oil cooler adapter with a straight-down unit like this:
You must be registered for see images attach
(Mr. Gasket Part #1272) thereby eliminating all the darn leaking.

Only problem is Oil filter fitment. Which one to use? What part #?

Thanks in advance,

-Enginebuilder

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Well the front driveshaft is directly underneath the oil filter as is with the 90'd oil filter adapter.. I'm thinking your going to be hitting the driveshaft with a straight down adapter, with any filter.
I believe there is a larger filter aswell as a smaller filter but both would probably be too long and get into clearance issues.

If your going to replace the entire unit, i would go with another 90'd one.. or just get the gaskets and seal up them leaks.
I don't have the oil cooler lines, as I have a 5-spd, so i'm not too sure what to do if those are leaking.
There are definitely people with a lot more useful information than I, so i'd wait and see for the time being!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you read that because I'm having troubles finding it. He replaced the adapter but he is also running with a solid axle swap and a passenger drop tcase. Further down the page he says;
For IFS, you would just keep your current filter and adapter.

Assuming you read it else where and thought it was there? maybe i missed something, however I suppose the 2wd adapter with a short filter would work, and result in that 1" clearance to dshaft, but to upgrade to a larger filter im thinking is out of the question with the dshaft in that position.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Aaaah! I see ok, wasn't trying to throw ya under the bus just didn't think that was the right thread :p Also I like that relocater.. Think that'd be a better option for sure. Where would you personally relocate it?

Would you be able to run those lines over the transmission to pass side and mount filter there? Not sure if i'd want to do the "up-hill" route.. ideas rollin around in my head.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been bouncin that one around too. I've seen most set up on the lower side of the DS fender well. As far as PS placement, It can be done, with longer hoses.
As far as the uphill aspect, stock oil coolers have to run pretty far out and up, so I wouldn't think it would hurt any.