Oil Cooler and Oil filter relocate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheeler454

Reaction score
I am sure that this has been asked before, but not having luck find anything in the forums. I have a 97 k2500 burban with the l29 454. I would like to plug the two ports on the block for the oil cooler. The I would like to change the oil filter adapter out for one that take two AN fittings. In doing so I want to relocate the filter and put in a after market cooler. Is there a problem in plugging these two ports on the block? I just would really like to have a cleaner more user friendly set up. The old cooler lines leak and I don't like the sideways filter. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for any help...

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil cooler lines are attached to the " oil filter/ oil cooler adapter. Not the block.
If it's leaking why not repair the leaks?
Look for an " oil filter block off plate to add remote filter". One source is " Trans adapt Co. " For remote filter mounts.
Or just search Chevy oil filter block off plates and remote filter mounts.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where on the block? 454 uses an oil up cooler filter adapter just like small block. What two ports? I think your mistaking the adapter for block body. He states the filter is mounted sideways, ( horizontal) as the 4x4 , K series for clearance.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Where on the block? 454 uses an oil up cooler filter adapter just like small block. What two ports? I think your mistaking the adapter for block body. He states the filter is mounted sideways, ( horizontal) as the 4x4 , K series for clearance.

Driver's side oil pan rail area. He does have an oil filter adapter, but the oil cooler doesn't connect to it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
you might check @Scottm post https://www.gmt400.com/threads/99-l29-454-build.54517/post-1286794 he is doing what you're looking for I think

Interesting. I've never seen that modification before.

Boats often use an oil filter sandwich adapter for the cooler, becasue the block ports are kinda small for marine use, I've read. The parts on ebay seem to be big bucks, Though. There are options from hot-rod/racing companies though, like the already mentioned Trans-dapt, or Canton Racing Products.

Extra hoses are one of the reasons I never went remote with the oil filter. I ended up removing the oil cooler lines when the first replaceent leaked after a year or two. That was a chinzey Dorman replacement with the aluminum tubing. Now, I'd either go AC Delco, or more likely Sunsong, which I'd guess is the maker of the AC Delco lines. They're steel/rubber like the originals.

Wheeler454

Reaction score
You all have been great help. But yes the cooler lines go to the block, next to the pan. The are rusted and not able to be saved. Also, when I decide to put headers on the truck, it just makes more sense to not have the oil filter down there in the way. So I would like to relocate the filter and put in a bigger cooler. The one now is only about 2 inches wide and 10 to 12 inches tall. With both fittings on the bottom.

My main thing I was wanting to make sure of, is can I plug both the ports in the block. And then get a 90 degree filter two hose adapter. Then run from here to the filter, then the cooler, then back to the adapter. This way not need either port in the block. Also added a picture for better reference.

Thanks again for the help

Last edited: