Welp I screwed something up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Tore into my rear yesterday to replace the axle seals, c clips, and cross pin. Took the cover off, rotated assembly to get to the bolt, removed bolt and pin, rotated again to get access to c clips, removed axles, replaced seals, reinserted axles, installed clips, had to rotate assembly a little bit to ralign pin holes, reassembled, filled with fluid.

Took it for a drive this morning and on every deceleration, it clicks pretty audibly. Smooth and quiet on acceleration.

What did I doooooooooo?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did one of the spider gear washers get missed? as in not back under the spider gear?
Yes, any spinning while axles are out can move spiders and the spacers/washers under them. Is there an additive needed? Is the seal seated properly or pushed too far in? Did you clean the shoes and drums before reassembly?

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. It turned out to be the pin. It was way too long. I'm almost wondering if the hole for the retaining bolt was located incorrectly as well, because to me, sticking out of the carrier a 1/4" or more is excessive. I looked at it with an inspection mirror and at its closest, the chamfer on the edges of the pin was basically touching the pinion gear. Took the pin out, sure enough there were wear spots on the edges.

I just tore into it again and replaced with the OEM pin. I'm so tired of aftermarket anymore. She's quiet again though.

I filled it with Lucas 75-140. Ive heard a lot of good things about the 140 especially in high temperatures, which are right around the corner here in San Antonio.

I didn't spin it with the axles out. I'm thinking that would possibly cause shims and washers to move out of place right? Every time I spun it, the axles were in it.

I really appreciate your input guys. As always my GMT400 family is there to help out!

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Spinning with axles out creates more "spidey work". @Pinger said there are two pin choices. Aftermarket is not the problem if you were given 2 choices. Also, you installed and then didn't spin to look at the other side, correct? I personally don't like to cover anything that I just worked on till I look at it all again. Nuff said.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spinning with axles out creates more "spidey work". @Pinger said there are two pin choices. Aftermarket is not the problem if you were given 2 choices. Also, you installed and then didn't spin to look at the other side, correct? I personally don't like to cover anything that I just worked on till I look at it all again. Nuff said.
I didn't have two choices from where I purchased and I didn't know that was the case. I bought it from Yukon and that was the ONLY one they had for my rear end. I called and spoke to their tech support before installing as well asking about the length and two hole setup and they gave me their blessing.

In the end, I believe the pin was manufactured incorrectly.

I checked to see how it looked, but didn't initially catch how close it was at its closest because after having spoken to them, it didn't occur to me to worry. I trusted the manufacturer took all these tolerances into account. Admittedly, THAT was my mistake. That won't happen again.

At least nothing catastrophic occured.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, there was obviously two choices THEY should have made you aware of. I personally would call their "tech support" and tell them this could have caused a big problem with incorrect info from them. Also, did you compare them side by side before install?