Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its is hard you cant scratch it like babbit material that a bearing is made from

What happens when you try and bend it - snap or bend.

Trying to figure out if it is hard as per a 'wear surface' or soft eg, part of a valve stem seal, PCV valve, etc.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't find that surface finish and lip on the lobe of a healthy cam. Lobe failure produces the lip and spalled/crazed surface. Here's a failed cam for reference:

You must be registered for see images attach

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What happens when you try and bend it - snap or bend.

Trying to figure out if it is hard as per a 'wear surface' or soft eg, part of a valve stem seal, PCV valve, etc.
Way too big and thick plus the shear indicates that it came off something bigger . The shape and curve rules out valves

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't find that surface finish and lip on the lobe of a healthy cam. Lobe failure produces the lip and spalled/crazed surface. Here's a failed cam for reference:

You must be registered for see images attach
Its the only thing that makes sense. Shouldn't that make some pretty good noise?
Whats the cause normally?
The edge of the metal here has almost like a chrome lip. Its pernounced.

guyopel

Reaction score
Bingo you have your answer for the part... the side of the lifter bottom.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the only thing that makes sense. Shouldn't that make some pretty good noise?
Whats the cause normally?
The edge of the metal here has almost like a chrome lip. Its pernounced.

Not necessarily. As long as the lifter roller trunnion is intact and rolling across the lobe, it may not make noise. Then again, what you are seeing could also be the remnants of a previous failure that weren't cleaned from the block. If you haven't owned the vehicle from new, it's possible.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not necessarily. As long as the lifter roller trunnion is intact and rolling across the lobe, it may not make noise. Then again, what you are seeing could also be the remnants of a previous failure that weren't cleaned from the block. If you haven't owned the vehicle from new, it's possible.
Ok, so there hasnt been any glitter in the oil ever, ive changed it probably 4 or 5 times. Previous owner had alot work done but never this. The original owner sold it with 140k . I got it last year with 180 something and its at 195k now.
Any suggestions ? I probably cant trust the motor now. Unless i tear it apart and its too damn hot here.
This would be a pretty big chunk off the cam. There must be some oil starvation to cause it?