weathered side moldings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
On my '98, I heated the molding with a heat gun, couple of feet at a time (When it's just about too F'n hot to touch, it's hot enough.) & pulled some 50lbtest fishing line (tied to some dowling pieces for handles) between the moulding & the body. Then hit the residue with an eraser wheel. No paint damage. I wasn't replacing so that was important.
Awest623...Agreed! I did my '97 like your's. I took the molding as far along the body as I could. Until it would bend just enough & still stick to the body. Right to the edges of the wheel wells too.
Found out that the lower edge of the indented body line is not exactly straight. We used a snap line to mark for the molding.
Discovered that if the line was marked from the chrome on the bumper moldings, Fr-Rr, the line matched up perfect with the bottom of the wheel well moldings.
You can see how that factory body line isn't straight in the pic.
Check the diff in the distance from the body line to the molding on the door & the diff on the quarter behind the rear W/W.
I wanted the molding to be perfectly straight, rather than following the weird body line.

You must be registered for see images attach

oilspot

Reaction score
Well, I was out messing with some other stuff on the truck and ended up pulling the molding off by hand in roughly 5 min. It came off clean, and other than the chrome, it's in good shape. So I can play with some ideas of how/ if i want to "Restore and reuse", replace, or maybe even run without!?!?!