Window outer beltline molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some of y'all have probably noticed there's 2 styles of this beltline molding (bottom of door window, exterior) - there's the "old" style with the small metal tabs that grip really well, and the "new" style which instead has wide plastic tabs.

In my experience, the wide plastic tab style gets loose over time and rides up when you roll the window up.. this is especially problematic with aftermarket replacement molding. I got some from LMC years ago that didn't make it a few months before this started.

What I'm wondering is, and I've never paid enough attention to notice.. did GM change something about the door shell in that area, or are these two different styles of molding interchangeable?

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'll have to look at this, next yard trip. That Escalade has some more things on it that I want to get(if they're still there of course!) Part of the removal procedure is going to be pulling the door panels off, so maybe I can ascertain this. Right now this yard has a few 400s of various years.
I'm sure you have a thread on it, but what is the procedure for removing the Topkick/3500 HD door handles and rods? There's a 3500HD out there with a stuck driver's door and the cab is full of junk. I'd like to get these if I can, they look to be in good condition. Thanks!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh the Escalade will absolutely have the newer style beltline molding with the wide plastic tabs. Hell even a 1994 has that. I'm wondering out loud if the old style metal tab beltline molding fits the trucks that came with the plastic tab style..

Removing the HD handles isn't anything trickier than removing the regular ones. Couple 10mm head bolts, one you reach with an extension through a hole on the inner door panel, gotta have the window up to access it. I'm sure you already know you need the lock and latch rods as they're unique to the HD handles.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Asked the "Rubber the Right Way" dudes and they said they didn't really know. They did write a pretty thoughtful response but simply didn't know the answer. Other than I'd have to pay return shipping, as long as I don't mess up the product they'll refund it..

Richard

Shwa Kid

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is, and I've never paid enough attention to notice.. did GM change something about the door shell in that area, or are these two different styles of molding interchangeable?
Yes, the door interiors are different (in addition to the lack of notch for the 88-89 interior door pull). I had a set of doors with each and tried to use the old on the new, it didn't work. I can't totally remember why, but I think it's that the old style had a clip that dropped down into a hole on the door interior. If I recall you can't access the part where the holes are. Maybe if you're able to drill through the inner door skin, but you would need a pretty long drill bit.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw a video today showing precision has both style moldings available now. He said they were not interchangeable though....

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys probably value your stuff more than I do and don't want to this - I ended up drilling holes and putting small sheet metal screws through the molding and into the top of the door. I use my truck often and don't like having trouble with stuff like this so I choose function over looks. I put the screws in after it started to go up with the window once. Aftermarket parts.