Wanting to buy a GMT400, how old is too old, and years to avoid? (discussion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is not rust holes or what anyone added except Ford. One look and I thought to myself, how stupid. Those are all going to create corrosion issues in salt areas.

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That is not rust holes or what anyone added except Ford. One look and I thought to myself, how stupid. Those are all going to create corrosion issues in salt areas.

That makes no sense to me. Normally, I'd expect a few extra holes maybe for equipment that a particular vehicle didn't get, or maybe locating the frame in a jig for some operation, but this looks like metal eating bugs have attacked it, or it was sitting downrange.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That makes no sense to me. Normally, I'd expect a few extra holes maybe for equipment that a particular vehicle didn't get, or maybe locating the frame in a jig for some operation, but this looks like metal eating bugs have attacked it, or it was sitting downrange.
I could not believe what I saw either the first time. Then started watching and noticed they were all like that. Looks like a way to severely weaken a frame to me, especially compared to like the frame on my Express van that is fully boxed and one of GMs first hydroformed units.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Aside from the ancient Ford "Swiss Cheese" frames of the early '80s, (Ford's "Better Idea")...

...the only pickup truck frames I've ever heard of "snapping" were put on a vehicle hoist improperly--with the rearward frame block too far forward. The entire back-half of the vehicle was cantilevered off the rearward support arms.
That was fords way of weight reduction to get them to roll a little easier when your pushing it.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score

Looks like someone peppered that frame with a 12-gage with buckshot (if buckshot could penetrate a frame, that is).