Wanting to buy a GMT400, how old is too old, and years to avoid? (discussion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe a light duty 3/4 ton is a good idea then

The half tons are the ones known for snapping behind the cab, right?
With the 2500LD you'll generally pay more insurance as I just alluded to in another thread. That was my experience comparing otherwise apples to apples ('94 C1500 5.7 vs. '94 C2500LD 5.7 on same policy.) However in terms of brakes and rear end durability, as well as a slight increase in payload capacity, I'd say it's worth it.

Dunno about snapping behind the cab? 1500 and 2500LD frames are identical other than a few small gussets/braces added here and there mostly around the spring hangers and shackle brackets. What I've noticed a lot of on older trucks are just bad cab mounts causing an obvious sag which is easy to see between rear of the cab and the bed.

Richard

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the 2500LD you'll generally pay more insurance as I just alluded to in another thread. That was my experience comparing otherwise apples to apples ('94 C1500 5.7 vs. '94 C2500LD 5.7 on same policy.) However in terms of brakes and rear end durability, as well as a slight increase in payload capacity, I'd say it's worth it.

Dunno about snapping behind the cab? 1500 and 2500LD frames are identical other than a few small gussets/braces added here and there mostly around the spring hangers and shackle brackets. What I've noticed a lot of on older trucks are just bad cab mounts causing an obvious sag which is easy to see between rear of the cab and the bed.

Richard
Ive heard, but havent looked into it, that the gmt 400s with extended cabs, long beds or other longer WB ones were prone to snappingframes haha

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ive heard, but havent looked into it, that the gmt 400s with extended cabs, long beds or other longer WB ones were prone to snappingframes haha

I've never heard of GMT-400's being prone to snapping frames. If any Chevy truck is prone to snapping frames, I'd guess it to be the light duty 800 trucks with the hydroformed frame.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never heard of GMT-400's being prone to snapping frames. If any Chevy truck is prone to snapping frames, I'd guess it to be the light duty 800 trucks with the hydroformed frame.
Maybe that was it, I the guy who was explaining the trends he saw is a ford guy lol
So maybe he was just was mistaken lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the ancient Ford "Swiss Cheese" frames of the early '80s, (Ford's "Better Idea")...
You must be registered for see images attach

...the only pickup truck frames I've ever heard of "snapping" were put on a vehicle hoist improperly--with the rearward frame block too far forward. The entire back-half of the vehicle was cantilevered off the rearward support arms.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from the ancient Ford "Swiss Cheese" frames of the early '80s, (Ford's "Better Idea")...

...the only pickup truck frames I've ever heard of "snapping" were put on a vehicle hoist improperly--with the rearward frame block too far forward. The entire back-half of the vehicle was cantilevered off the rearward support arms.
glad they fixed that for the 90s.. my f150 has the same shape of frame otherwise just not swiss'ed away like that

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
glad they fixed that for the 90s.. my f150 has the same shape of frame otherwise just not swiss'ed away like that

They have made the new delivery vans frames swiss cheese again. On the newer cab and chassis van, I noticed like a FedEx van pull up. It had what had to be 200 holes drilled through. In the lighting it was in was very noticeable.