Wanting to buy a GMT400, how old is too old, and years to avoid? (discussion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party. Here's my 2 cents in response to the original poster's questions.

I've owned three of these trucks: a 1997 C1500 RCLB with 4.3L; a 2000 K3500 (SRW) RCLB with 5.7L; and my current truck, a 1990 K2500 RCLB with 5.0L.

I'm in the rust belt, and as you know, or will soon find out, it's hard to find a solid truck up here, unless it was brought from down South/out West. If you have the means (time/money), I would advise buying a truck from the South or West. I was on a low budget, I purchased my latest truck for $3,000, and that was with a complete plow setup, but I have a fair amount of rust repair to deal with. That said, I love the truck and it runs awesome and has been very reliable mechanically (the interior is pretty decent). I just prefer the classic look of the regular cab/long bed combination.

Being in New England, I would definitely hold out for a 4wd truck. My '97 was 2wd, and it was horrible in the snow; I couldn't go up even a mild incline. Having owned both early and late GMT400s, I prefer the early trucks for their more simple interior and mechanicals. The TBI engines may make less power, but even with a 5.0L (305 c.i.), I feel the truck has plenty of acceleration (it's not a sports car, after all), and it has excellent throttle response, which makes it a pleasure to drive.

It was my primary vehicle, until my elderly mother gave me her 2008 Honda Civic, which is much easier on gas. Now it's my backup vehicle; even though I don't drive it as much, I make sure to drive it at least once a week, to keep the battery charged and everything mechanical moving freely. I use it for dump runs and moving large things. Rather than doing a major restoration, where the truck would be out of service for months/years, I am doing the Johnny Cash method of restoration: "one piece at a time." That way, I can restore it, while I drive it.

Good luck, hope you find a great truck. But, they all need some work, due to their age.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on your description, are you trying to restore or have a daily driver?

GMT400s (both pickups and SUVs) have a VERY MILD collectors market. 88-94 GMT400s are becoming mild collectors pieces if restored to showroom condition. 88-94 has the "old" style interior and the TBI fuel injection. While the TBI injection is archaic by today's standards of fuel injection, it was revolutionary for its time. People love TBI bc of the simplicity of it, but a lot of people hate it for its lack of fuel efficiency and lack of power that it has compared to the Vortecs.

1995 is the worst year for the GMT400. The "new" interior came out, but the TBI still remained. 95 is an oddball year with wiring being proprietary to the year and still being OBDI.

96-99 Classic had the Vortec heads and injectors. People like Vortec fuel injection bc it's better than TBI in both power and fuel economy and really made the old school gen 1 small block relevant in the modern era. Vortec GMT400s are also hated for the poor design and location of the injectors too. The injectors are located below the intake manifold and will likely need replacing if they haven't had them replaced already and it can be a huge PITA. Vortec heads are also the most free flowing stock heads out there too. A common budget upgrade to a SBC is to use Vortec heads bc of the free flowing nature of them and they're so cheap and plentiful everywhere. 1996 also saw OBDII and 1997 saw the addition of the passenger side air bag on 1500s. The 2500/3500 didn't come with an airbag, so you just get a hole on the passenger side of the truck/suv instead.

If I were you, I'd get a 96-99 Classic 2500 with 8 lugs and a 4L80E. 4L80Es were standard on 2500/3500 trucks and are virtually bulletproof out of the box. 8 lug rear axles are full floating IIRC so they're far more durable than any semi floating rear axle out there. You can get either a 5.7 V8, 7.4 V8, or a 6.5 Diesel. I'd recommend either the 5.7 or 7.4 over the 6.5 bc the 6.5 isn't very good in terms of diesels. The 7.4 will have huge towing power, but terrible gas mileage. The 5.7 isn't great on gas either, but will be better than the 7.4 and will be more common parts wise to find. Towing won't be as good either, but it's no slouch. My friend has a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 with the 5.7 and towed a SkiDoo trailer with 2 riding lawnmowers, 2 push mowers, and a weedeater with no issues. He used to run his own landscaping business.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a TBI & "Kept it stock" kind of guy, so my vote is '92 to '94, stick shift two-tone paint schemes. Swap the composite headlights for the four eye look. Better looking interior, no Kelsey-Hayes four-wheel ABS and while not OBD II, you can still connect a scan tool to it and see live data. Easier to troubleshoot and keep going as they have fewer sensors. Engine bay looks cleaner as well. 454 or 350, I liked both. Although if you're going to drive it every day and only tow occasionally, I recommend the 350. Mine does just over 19 mpg on the highway at 70 mph.
I completely agree. '92-'94 is so much easier to work on and they look better! As you said about the damn ABS, I will be deleting mine and using a Wilwood prop valve instead.