Tuning vortec to run on as little sensors as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How cool is that!
It was very cool. Just no longer made or supported by AFR. They even quit making the special rubber seals. 8 bolts and 4 nuts is all it takes to swap from a dual plane to a single plane with that intake.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are plenty of SBC EFI manifolds out there if you look in the right places. I feel like I am hoarding manifolds now. I have a couple full TPI setups, stock base, edelbrock base, vortec base, stock runners, ASM and SLP runners. Then have an Indmar marine intake like the ones sold by Street & Performance that I have two uppers for. One that uses a TPI throttle body and a 2nd that uses a 90mm LS. Then I bought a Proflow knock off and a Holley single plane. I traded off the Mercruiser dual plane to a buddy. Also had a guy message me on FB and he is sending me another new 24X reluctor he was going to throw in the scrap. I am going to pull the regular marine manifold off the van. Just cannot decide if I want to put the Indmar manifold or the Holley on it.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If Chevy did things right then why in the hell did they put plastic parts on top of the engine. Hot metal and plastic not a good combination, they should have kept aluminum intake and they would have gotten better results on power and mileage. Plus the spider web under the plastic intake is prone to failure because of the intense heat. I'm replacing my plastic OEM intake with a aluminum intake on my 350 CI Vortec.
Not really what I said. I was alluding to GM not spending more money than absolutely necessary - while still achieving its objectives.
As mentioned in other posts, plastic manifolds are commonplace and largely trouble-free. Mine has survived numerous backfires.
I suppose we could argue about the heat aspect - it probably does get warm for a while under the plenum after motor shutdown. When the engine is working hard though, there's a plentiful supply of cooling air...

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI because I install many of those holley snipers at work, The sensors on the holley are gm style and are replacable from parts store option

I have a cheat sheet too.

CTS Sensor: Standard Motor Products TX3
TPS Sensor: Standard Motor Products TH191
IAC Motor: Standard Motor Products AC416
WBO2 Sensor: Bosch 17025

Only one not replaceable over counter is the IAT which is built into the unit but it wouldn't leave you stranded
Cool,didn't know that. I like it even better now.
How well do they actually perform?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was very cool. Just no longer made or supported by AFR. They even quit making the special rubber seals. 8 bolts and 4 nuts is all it takes to swap from a dual plane to a single plane with that intake.

I have no problem with the plastic plenum but I don't like those plastic water crossovers especially if there is any sonic welding done in the manufacturing process.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Chevy did things right then why in the hell did they put plastic parts on top of the engine. Hot metal and plastic not a good combination, they should have kept aluminum intake and they would have gotten better results on power and mileage. Plus the spider web under the plastic intake is prone to failure because of the intense heat. I'm replacing my plastic OEM intake with a aluminum intake on my 350 CI Vortec.
Because GM's warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles. Never forget, you aren't the auto manufacturer's customer. The dealership is.

If you want fewer sensors but still like the trouble free operation and fuel economy of CCFI then maybe the Holley Sniper system may be a good choice for you. I think you can use your existing fuel pump and distributer.
A TBI truck with a Vortec fuel pump can run a Sniper. I don't know if the Vortec distributor will run with a Sniper, but a small-cap HEI should drop in and run.

Cons,it ain't cheap,requires a manifold change and if any parts fail you have to get them from Holley and they don't offer Vaseline.
As Dropped88 said, almost all of the parts are standard parts. I had to replace my TPS, and it's the round-plug TPS off later TBI trucks. The O2 sensor is the factory wideband O2 sensor from a Dodge truck. The coolant temp sensor is a GM part.

The manifold swap isn't terrible. Hit up your local swap meet and pick up a manifold for $60, or spend $150 and get a Summit Racing off-brand Weiand manifold.