New-to-me truck first tune-up 5.7L vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grube

Reaction score
Plugs 5 and 7 on the passenger side? Mentioned a couple of times above. Am I missing something?

Just that those plug wires shouldn’t be touching.

In other news, I finally got the old Yukon back in for another shop weekend. Got some new battery cable ends and terminals installed, and have boxes of parts to throw at this thing lol. P/s pump, oil filter adapter seal kit, serp belt, and a lot of other stuff. Front brakes etc.
Not sure how much I’ll get done or what I will start with this weekend. I also have some body work I want to tackle, including removing the factory stuck on “pinstripe” - some rust holes to patch, a dent to attempt pulling out, once that’s done I plan to tape a line and bedliner the whole bottom of truck black. And got some mudflaps to put on. Lol

Anyone else removed these decals, I’m assuming just heat gun and peel them off maybe with plastic scraper

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2379.jpeg
    IMG_2379.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plugs 5 and 7 on the passenger side? Mentioned a couple of times above. Am I missing something?
Yes. Unless you're in England, or from English colonies/former colonies, or maybe Japan, 5 and 7 are on the driver's (Left) side.

Passenger's side (Right side) bank is 2--4--6--8.
Driver's side (Left side) bank is 1--3--5--7.

If the spark for #5 jumps to #7, severe engine damage may result. This can happen via inductive cross-fire if the plug wires are routed too close together, and parallel. GM (and other companies with the same firing order) route these wires well-separated from each other, and they tend to cross at a 90-degree angle.