How do i do a tune up? 1995 Chevrolet K2500HD 7.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cuckfield

Reaction score
Hello all. I've done some research and maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but how do I tune up my 7.4 big block? Things such as spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

Basically, what is the process from start to finish, best order to do things in, and what are the best parts to buy from rockauto?

Thanks in advance.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I tend to stick with ac delco plugs and wires (standard oe replacement) if i were to order from rock auto.

Dist cap and rotor, I'd probably go with the one below.
You must be registered for see images attach

Full disclosure, i just picked up plug wires for my 1995 7.4l from carquest/advanced auto. Distribtor as well that came with cap and rotor installed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Different vehicles, but I've purchased several sets of united motor products plug wires.
I went United Motor Products with the "premium" cap, rotor, and wire set (#18855) for my '93 7.4... and AC Delco Platinum 1 plugs.

If they haven't been done in forever, you should consider fuel filter and air filter, too.

Another "if it's been forever/never" you might consider the coolant temperature sensor (CTS) in the intake manifold as it has a huge amount of control over your fuel mixture; they go bad gradually and cause the fuel mixture to run rich. AC Delco on this one, too.

Richard

Cuckfield

Reaction score
I went United Motor Products with the "premium" cap, rotor, and wire set (#18855) for my '93 7.4... and AC Delco Platinum 1 plugs.

If they haven't been done in forever, you should consider fuel filter and air filter, too.

Another "if it's been forever/never" you might consider the coolant temperature sensor (CTS) in the intake manifold as it has a huge amount of control over your fuel mixture; they go bad gradually and cause the fuel mixture to run rich. AC Delco on this one, too.

Richard
Thanks a lot for the info.
Did you gap them or just buy them pre-set for .45? The exact plugs you speak of seem to be gapped for .45 and apparently these 454s are meant to be ran at .35, but does that even make a difference?

What spot should I mark on the engine to make sure the timing gets set back right with the new distributor?

Also, what contact points should I apply dielectric grease to when I put everything back together? Cheers.

Many thanks for allowing me to ask my stupid questions.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the out-of-box .045 gap. Generally you don't re-gap platinum/iridium/etc. plugs unless you have one of the really fancy gap tools; the simple tools most people think of will damage these plugs. I was concerned about the gap when I was ordering them and I can't recall what the label on my '93 calls for, but .045 seems to be fine. If they were gapped really wide, like .060, I might worry. Follow your gut on this, though, since it's your truck and not mine.

As far as timing, you're not replacing the distributor, you're just doing cap and rotor. No need to worry about the timing.

Dielectric grease, a small dab of it, wiped inside the boots at each end of the spark plug wires can help prevent corrosion at the contact.

Richard

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Got pulled away before i finished my response regarding order of operations. Others covered it as well or better than I would have.

Cuckfield

Reaction score
I went with the out-of-box .045 gap. Generally you don't re-gap platinum/iridium/etc. plugs unless you have one of the really fancy gap tools; the simple tools most people think of will damage these plugs. I was concerned about the gap when I was ordering them and I can't recall what the label on my '93 calls for, but .045 seems to be fine. If they were gapped really wide, like .060, I might worry. Follow your gut on this, though, since it's your truck and not mine.

As far as timing, you're not replacing the distributor, you're just doing cap and rotor. No need to worry about the timing.

Dielectric grease, a small dab of it, wiped inside the boots at each end of the spark plug wires can help prevent corrosion at the contact.

Richard
Duly noted.