Tuning vortec to run on as little sensors as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heys guys, this may be a newb question as I don’t know a whole lot about tuning. But has anyone ever tuned a vortec engine to run on as little sensors/electronics as possible? I know egr and rear o2 can be tuned out, anything else? I may have heard somewhere that you can tune the pcm to use MAP for air/fuel ratio, and other sensors can be deleted, not sure is that’s true.

I am guessing something like this would require a 411 swap. And we can disregard emissions legality for now, this is purely hypothetical. I just want to know if its possible to dumb down a vortec to be as simple as a TBI, or even simpler.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much of a loss are we talking? If it isn’t too much of a power and mpg loss, I could see it potentially being worth it to have one less sensor that can fail.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's results in loss of power and mpg , how is this in any way beneficial. Removing the input for after cat O2 sensor is suppressing a cat health warning. The other sensors information are required inputs for operation, spark, timing, mixture , temp, load, rpm etc.
If you want a TBI, then install one. A step backwards.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I see your point. I guess if there were any simpler and/or cheaper way to design the vortec engines, GM would have done that already. If the engine was any simpler it wouldn’t run very good, aside from emission control devices which are required by the gov.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The minimum for a street car that will run all year long is pretty much MAP (or MAF, at least one of the two), TPS, IAC, IAT, CTS. O2 is technically optional but you'll probably need one to make it optional and so you might as well keep it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sensors are like spark plugs,they need periodic replacement. The savings in fuel will reimburse the cost of the sensors with money left over for beer.

I disagree with that, in part. Sensors need replacing when they no longer function properly but they're not really wear parts like a spark plug. There is no need to change a sensor every x amount of miles just because "its time". I'd rather continue to use a working original sensor than swap in a new sensor that likely wont be made to the same standards as the oem part.

OP, your best bet for eliminating failure points is to keep up with maintenance and pay attention when something starts acting or sounding different than it has in the past. Check grounds everytime you're working near one and my personal favorite....keep things clean which helps to prevent corrosion, and makes it easier to see problems.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If MAF is more accurate than MAP for fuel/air anyway, then is MAP technically necessary? Also would there be any cons to tuning out the cam and crank sensors, since those weren’t listed as an absolutely necessary sensor to make the car run?

I understand these are dumb questions but I’m trying to learn more about tuning and efi systems