New knock sensor trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green961500

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a 1988 gmc k1500 with the 5.7 tbi I installed a new ac delco knock sensor and I got a code 43 after driving for 10 minutes. Could this be a defective sensor?

Backstory the truck is an original 5.0 tbi truck but I installed a chip from Harris performance to run it as a 350 I've installed 350 injectors, egr deleted, new coolant temp sensor new map sensor new tps sensor new esc module new iac sensor. I wanted to put the 350 knock sensor in but it keeps throwing codes. The old one does not any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new coolant temp sensor new map sensor new tps sensor new esc module new iac sensor.
Is your ESC module for a 5.0 or a 5.7? The knock sensor needs to be matched to the module. The KS needs to be torqued properly - IIRC something like 18 Ft/Lbs

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHY do you need a new knock sensor? Does the scan tool show excessive knock counts? Not enough knock counts? Engine computer threw a "code" for knock sensor?

What is wrong with the other knock sensor?

Have you checked the knock sensor wire harness for breaks or corrosion? VERY common.

Connect a scan tool, verify that the knock sensor works.

Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky threads section of the Engine forum; follow the diagnostic procedure for Code 43.

Kinda concerned that disabling the EGR has got the knock sensor overworked and angry.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Just hook a wire to the old knock sensor and hold on to the the bare end of the wire and smack it on a hard surface, you will find out if it is defective right away.:shocked:

green961500

Reaction score
WHY do you need a new knock sensor? Does the scan tool show excessive knock counts? Not enough knock counts? Engine computer threw a "code" for knock sensor?

What is wrong with the other knock sensor?

Have you checked the knock sensor wire harness for breaks or corrosion? VERY common.

Connect a scan tool, verify that the knock sensor works.

Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky threads section of the Engine forum; follow the diagnostic procedure for Code 43.

Kinda concerned that disabling the EGR has got the knock sensor overworked and angry.
I bought a new knock sensor cause someone told me 5.0 and 5.7 knock sensors are different I got a custom chip by Harris performance and the egr is tuned out