Hey guys I have a timing issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are disconnecting the single wire connector in the harness and setting the base timing at zero, correct? Check the timing with connector disconnected and bring up the rpm, it shouldn't move. As soon as you reconnect it the ECM takes over again.

Also, E3 plugs are absolute garbage in a SBC. I personally like AC or the cheap NGK. 90+% of the time I run NGK.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i figured it was 14 but im not sure how accurate the harbofreight wrench is, 14 could be 18 for all i know with that thing
Grassroots Motorsports did an article several years ago where they tested a Harbor Fright against Strap-On's shiniest. They were both spot-on.

I believe @Erik the Awful posted a Youtoob video he made going over how to check torque wrenchs.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nick88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are disconnecting the single wire connector in the harness and setting the base timing at zero, correct? Check the timing with connector disconnected and bring up the rpm, it shouldn't move. As soon as you reconnect it the ECM takes over again.

Also, E3 plugs are absolute garbage in a SBC. I personally like AC or the cheap NGK. 90+% of the time I run NGK.
Yep disconnected it and set it to 0, when I reconnect it sits around 12-14* at idle, and advances then retards when revved slightly

Nick88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grassroots Motorsports did an article several years ago where they tested a Harbor Fright against Strap-On's shiniest. They were both spot-on.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s very reassuring to know considering I have rebuilt transmissions with that harbor freight torque wrench, I’ll probably loosen it later then tighten it and make 100% it’s at 14, I’ve narrowed it down to seeming to definitely be either over tightened or an issue with esc. Truck advances fine in mid acceleration but not under low, maybe over tightened ks+exhaust leak under low acceleration??