Transmission dust shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You're talking about this shield next to the cat? This is a view from above so you have a better idea what you're working on.
I think you will have to pull the exhaust to get enough clearance to back the bolts out since your ratchet will run into the cat.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're talking about this shield next to the cat? This is a view from above so you have a better idea what you're working on.
I think you will have to pull the exhaust to get enough clearance to back the bolts out since your ratchet will run into the cat.
I think he is talking about the bellhousing cover underneath the torque converter.

My experience (1992 454 TBI, 2wd) is that you can move it around a bit to inspect the torque converter/flex plate, but there is not quite enough room to completely remove it. There may be more clearance on different engines/transmissions so I'd give it a try to see if its possible to completely remove it.

Also not sure on the cat placement being an issue since for some reason 3500s have the cat at the back of the exhaust.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the bellhousing cover underneath the torque converter.
That makes more sense! On my 350 TBI with the 4l60e I can drop the inspection cover plate with the stock y-pipe in place. Bit of swearing and shaking the thing around and it dropped. You may have to pull the starter to give you room to work

Ratrod312

Reaction score

My experience (1992 454 TBI, 2wd) is that you can move it around a bit to inspect the torque converter/flex plate, but there is not quite enough room to completely remove it. There may be more clearance on different engines/transmissions so I'd give it a try to see if its possible to completely remove it.

Also not sure on the cat placement being an issue since for some reason 3500s have the cat at the back of the exhaust.
Yes i am referring to the bottom half of the bell housing, not the exhaust shield. Thank you

Ratrod312

Reaction score
That makes more sense! On my 350 TBI with the 4l60e I can drop the inspection cover plate with the stock y-pipe in place. Bit of swearing and shaking the thing around and it dropped. You may have to pull the starter to give you room to work
I appreciate the reply, i have already removed the starter so hopefully that will give me enough space to get the cover out.