Trailering a CCLB dually/ curb weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lma47940

Reaction score
Yeah that was my thing. The fact that a newer half ton can pull as much as an older 1 ton dually.

Can you even put the proper tongue weight on the newer 1/2 tons to safely pull a 10k trailer?

Last edited:

Lma47940

Reaction score
20 miles. No traffic, no mountains, no freeway. Slow going would get it done, but a bigger truck with an appropriate size trailer would be involve no white knuckles.

I have a 14k 25' trailer, and I think I'm going to go revive my buddies 88 c3500 tonight. See about getting my big girl home.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that was my thing. The fact that a newer half ton can pull as much as an older 1 ton dually. Can you even put the proper tongue weight on the newer 1/2 tons to safely pull a 10k trailer.

Um, no. You can't really load a 10,000 lb trailer with the 12%-15% tongue weight practically.. Maybe if you shift the weight on the trailer all the way to the back, and without a driver on the truck you can do that, LOL. Realistically, you will always have passengers, gear, etc in your truck when towing. And I think those trucks have P-series tires, so you probably feel like you are riding on the ocean with that much load. I mean, you can probably do it and still be under the towing rating, but that light truck is going to get bullied all over the place, especially by a large trailer or RV or under windy conditions and drivetrain won't last.

Also, if you look at the fine print on the ratings, the highest numbers are the basic, bare bones work truck, regular cab models, not the crew cab with grocery shopper beds and every imaginable gadget/gizmo offered by the fancy trim levels. You know, the trucks everyone drives in the cities? Not to mention all of the accessories folks typically add to their trucks: nerf bars, heavy grill guards/bumpers, lift kits, etc.

There was a recent tread of a member asking the same thing towing a 10k (I can't remember if it was actually this, maybe a little less?) behind a 1500 Ram CCSB and his GMT400 CCLB DRW...

Last edited:

Lma47940

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never looked at the fine print, although I kinda figured as much. I wouldn't buy anything newer than a cat eye Silverado at the moment. They are all just to ugly to be in my fleet. :anitoof: I just see the ads and watch people pulling skid steers down the highway weaving in and out of traffic in 1500's wondering if they have enough truck to actually stop it.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, no. You can't really load a 10,000 lb trailer with the 12%-15% tongue weight practically.. Maybe if you shift the weight on the trailer all the way to the back, and without a driver on the truck you can do that, LOL. Realistically, you will always have passengers, gear, etc in your truck when towing. And I think those trucks have P-series tires, so you probably feel like you are riding on the ocean with that much load. I mean, you can probably do it and still be under the towing rating, but that light truck is going to get bullied all over the place, especially by a large trailer or RV or under windy conditions and drivetrain won't last.

Also, if you look at the fine print on the ratings, the highest numbers are the basic, bare bones work truck, regular cab models, not the crew cab with grocery shopper beds and every imaginable gadget/gizmo offered by the fancy trim levels. You know, the trucks everyone drives in the cities?

There was a recent tread of a member asking the same thing towing a 10k (I can't remember if it was actually this, maybe a little less?) behind a 1500 Ram CCSB and his GMT400 CCLB DRW...

I had a '14 silverado 1500, 5.3 - 6 speed. Highway cruising it was fine and had plenty of power (when at adequate rpms) but small trailers were not confidence inspiring. It had enough power but it just felt too soft and light, I didn't even bother trying to tow close to max tow rating with it. The old K2500 definitely feels better with a trailer, granted it is rated to tow more than that specific truck.

Another thing, high wind (which is common where I took that truck) at interstate speed really knocked the '14 around. Last winter traveling between billings and bozeman we ran into a 65-70 mph headwind, I couldn't maintain 85 mph in 6th gear on flat roads and i had to fight it every time a cross-wind hit. I know that's asking a lot of a half ton but after getting beat up by the wind that bad and watching my dads duramax just cruise along with no problem I decided to ditch the half ton.

This isn't exactly a towing comparison, i know, but having owned both a newer half ton and an older 3/4 ton I will say that they are not as close as they'd seem on paper. And replacing that 1500 with a duramax has been a very nice upgrade.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never looked at the fine print, although I kinda figured as much. I wouldn't buy anything newer than a cat eye Silverado at the moment. They are all just to ugly to be in my fleet. :anitoof: I just see the ads and watch people pulling skid steers down the highway weaving in and out of traffic in 1500's wondering if they have enough truck to actually stop it.

BTW, what are wrong with your brakes?

Lma47940

Reaction score
BTW, what are wrong with your brakes?
Had to panic stop her the other evening with the trailer on and when I did the passenger wheel cylinder blew out ( brake fluid flowing out of drum) and now the brake is locked up. So I forced her to my mom's house 1/4 mile up the road till I can get it to the barn. I'm guessing I some how pushed the piston out of the bore

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to panic stop her the other evening with the trailer on and when I did the passenger wheel cylinder blew out ( brake fluid flowing out of drum) and now the brake is locked up. So I forced her to my mom's house 1/4 mile up the road till I can get it to the barn. I'm guessing I some how pushed the piston out of the bore
Disconnect the brake line to that wheel, plug it, replace fluid, and drive it home.

Lma47940

Reaction score
Disconnect the brake line to that wheel, plug it, replace fluid, and drive it home.
I would but for some reason that brake is locked up, something jammed or bent when the wheel cylinder blew. The brake on that side was rolling smoke from the short 1/4 mile trip to my mothers house. Ill get her home tonight after work one way or another.