Towing with 33” tires versus 35” tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can abuse mode be decrease without being fully disabled? 0-20 is where I'm looking for the most gains. Doesn't sound like I'd see much difference by removing torque management other than during passes, I don't WOT very ofter. Feel like I'd be happy with a 30-50% reduction there?
You will see quite a big change if you configure the shift points to your current tire size. There is nothing wring with removing abuse mode as long as you aren't doing constant burn outs and drag races. Torque management reduction of 80% is perfect for any stock 4L60e. Remember, if you had a 93-95 4L60e, there is ZERO torque management or abuse mode settings. If you drive normal, you won't have any issues. My stock OG 4L60e lasted until 220k. It still worked but it slipped once on me in 4th gear for a second, so I had it rebuilt and improved.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
My stock OG 4L60e lasted until 220k. It still worked but it slipped once on me in 4th gear for a second, so I had it rebuilt and improved.
Yeah I just rebuilt my own 4l60e not even 3000 miles ago, so I wanna be pretty careful with anything that could kill it. So you're running 33s, with a 5.7 and a built 60e, abuse mode disabled and TM removed.

How built up is your 4l60e, and how long have you been running without abuse and TM?

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I just rebuilt my own 4l60e not even 3000 miles ago, so I wanna be pretty careful with anything that could kill it. So you're running 33s, with a 5.7 and a built 60e, abuse mode disabled and TM removed.

How built up is your 4l60e, and how long have you been running without abuse and TM?
I've been running it like this for quite a long time. I have Abuse mode turned off, 80% TM removed and shift firmness set at a 2 (1 being stock and 10 banging the gears). I also always shift out of OD when I'm pulling a hill and feel the truck starting to struggle and I NEVER EVER EVER tow or haul anything in OD. My truck also has the large stock transmission cooler. When the builder tore into it, everything looked good for the most part. Just the 3rd and 4th gear clutches were burnt. He installed a heavy duty sun shell, heavy duty TQ converter, clutches/rebuild kit and also installed a TransGo shift improver which eliminates the PWM slip into OD. I didn't go with the corvette servo because I didn't want it to bang when it shifts. Its very firm. I can really feel the difference from when It was stock. Its also programmed so it doesn't go into OD until 58mph.

What really kills a transmission is heat. Heavy loads, low engine speeds.. You gotta keep that fluid moving! With a big cooler and keeping it out of OD when towing/hauling, servicing it regularly, it should last a long time. I'm 37 years old and I don't beat on my stuff. I tow a boat, haul my family around, take it to the mountain, lake cabin, dump runs, construction projects... Making these adjustments will bring some serious life back to your truck.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 7

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Sounds like copying your setup would suit me pretty well. Funny thing I rebuilt my 60e for the same reason, have the factory cooler with plans to upgrade to a larger one, and I also gave it a hardened sun shell. No shift kit or TC upgrade, but I gave it the works along with a few little goodies from SONNAX. I also don't tow with my truck, she was used as a plow truck and got through it without a bent frame so I think she's earned a rest lol. Thanks for all the great info, and sorry for kinda jacking your thread :roflsquared:

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like copying your setup would suit me pretty well. Funny thing I rebuilt my 60e for the same reason, have the factory cooler with plans to upgrade to a larger one, and I also gave it a hardened sun shell. No shift kit or TC upgrade, but I gave it the works along with a few little goodies from SONNAX. I also don't tow with my truck, she was used as a plow truck and got through it without a bent frame so I think she's earned a rest lol. Thanks for all the great info, and sorry for kinda jacking your thread :roflsquared:
Haha! This thread has been all over the place! I highly recommend the shift improver kit by TransGo.

Traveling man

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised you don't find the 33s a bit lacking with 3.73 already tbh. I like the feel of 31s with 3.73, and I'm currently running 33s with 3.42 with plans to re-gear all the way up to 4.11

For 35s, especially if you're towing with any regularity, you should be considering 4.56 gears.
Amen I have 35" tires I decided to go with 488 gear, cuz I eventually plan to go to 37 inch tires, my truck is at about 2050 rpm at 55mph it runs like a thoroughbred all wound up on Mountain Dew, I should have went with 4.56 because the front differential is not really tough enough to be running 37's I'm going to modify a 2004 2500 HD with 9.5ring gear and a locker, dont want to lose my cushy ride ,I don't wheel hard enough for SAS kit, or that's what I say for my excuse of not being able to afford it. Lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Amen I have 35" tires I decided to go with 488 gear, cuz I eventually plan to go to 37 inch tires, my truck is at about 2050 rpm at 55mph it runs like a thoroughbred all wound up on Mountain Dew, I should have went with 4.56 because the front differential is not really tough enough to be running 37's I'm going to modify a 2004 2500 HD with 9.5ring gear and a locker, dont want to lose my cushy ride ,I don't wheel hard enough for SAS kit, or that's what I say for my excuse of not being able to afford it. Lol

I wanna do the same with my 1500, but there are a ton of actual needs ahead of it in line. I do have one on the shelf.

Traveling man

Reaction score
I wanna do the same with my 1500, but there are a ton of actual needs ahead of it in line. I do have one on the shelf.
I hear ya" but when your truck came with 35 inch tires & 348 gears, As long as it starts & stops lights wipers fuel pump work & the doors stay closed, being able to pull an empty 6 by 10 trailer is at the top of the list

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya" but when your truck came with 35 inch tires & 348 gears, As long as it starts & stops lights wipers fuel pump work & the doors stay closed, being able to pull an empty 6 by 10 trailer is at the top of the list

I meant the 9.5" diff swap, not the regear. With 33s, 4.10 gears, 4L80, and a Whipple my 1500 grunts a 24X8.5 trailer down the road fairly well locked in OD.

Traveling man

Reaction score
I meant the 9.5" diff swap, not the regear. With 33s, 4.10 gears, 4L80, and a Whipple my 1500 grunts a 24X8.5 trailer down the road fairly well locked in OD.
Ok, I thought you were referring to the question about gearing for 35" tires & towing, but...33's go with 410's like 35's & 456 like cowboy boots Daisy Duke, The 9.5 independent front suspension swap... that's a whole nother can na worms