Towing with 33” tires versus 35” tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bootstrapping off Supercharged111's comments....

A couple other things to consider if you haven't:

- Change the Power Enrichment delay to 1s (I'm not sure what happens if it's set to 0, you can try that on your own)

- Change the PE enable thresholds to enable PE based on MAP and not, as from the factory, throttle position. Enabling PE at or around 6-8" of vacuum (6" of vacuum corresponds to MAP of 80, 8" of vacuum --> MAP of 73... at least at lower altitudes) works pretty well, and follows the old practice of enabling "power mode" on a carburetor at those vacuum levels.

- Play with disabling the EGR (I've seen this make a notable improvement in driveability on my own 1995 S10 Blazer VIN W)
Looks like our rigs are similar. I also hydroboosted my brakes. 1998 k1500 with the Vortec 5.7. Nothing crazy. Spider injector upgrade, electric fans, stock ECM. Adjusting the shift points, removing abuse mode and reducing torque management is a huge game changer. I don't go into OD until 58mph. I have no issue passing anyone. Removing Abuse mode and TQ management will make that easier. You hit the gas and your truck actually goes! Keep in mind, if you drive your truck hard (burnouts and stomping on it constantly driving it like you stole it) and you have a stock 4l60e, if you remove abuse mode and all of torque management, you are going to shorten the life of your transmission.

Abuse Mode: kill it entirely. It's stupid. It pulls timing for a certain time when you floor the thing and it perceives it's being abused.

Brake Torque Management: get rid of it. It kills torque all the time even when you're locked up in OD.

Torque reduction: keep it. It only pulls timing on upshifts.

There's a lot more to do in the tune than that, but I wanted to clarify these items as few actually understand what they do.

Bootstrapping off Supercharged111's comments....

A couple other things to consider if you haven't:

- Change the Power Enrichment delay to 1s (I'm not sure what happens if it's set to 0, you can try that on your own)

- Change the PE enable thresholds to enable PE based on MAP and not, as from the factory, throttle position. Enabling PE at or around 6-8" of vacuum (6" of vacuum corresponds to MAP of 80, 8" of vacuum --> MAP of 73... at least at lower altitudes) works pretty well, and follows the old practice of enabling "power mode" on a carburetor at those vacuum levels.

- Play with disabling the EGR (I've seen this make a notable improvement in driveability on my own 1995 S10 Blazer VIN W)

I'm gonna guess this is why my stock 97 hoe feels so damn anemic compared to my old 4.3 blazer. Guess I need to do the 411 swap and get me an HPTuners setup.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess this is why my stock 97 hoe feels so damn anemic compared to my old 4.3 blazer. Guess I need to do the 411 swap and get me an HPTuners setup.
You can also get a black box ecm from a 98. It can be tuned.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like the 0411 is the best route to go if I'm gonna dive into that.

If you're going to bother with a PCM swap, 98-00 is a waste compared to the 411 as the labor is the same but the tunability is hands down better.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to bother with a PCM swap, 98-00 is a waste compared to the 411 as the labor is the same but the tunability is hands down better.
I thought the 98 black box ecm was plug and play? That’s the only reason I recommended it. You don’t have to re-pin your whole ecm harness.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the 98 black box ecm was plug and play? That’s the only reason I recommended it. You don’t have to re-pin your whole ecm harness.
I doubt that, 98 has 4 plugs vs 5 for the older one. But I've never tried either.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
OKAY So, the 97 Burb has 5 plugs. the 98 Sierra has 4 but the 5th spot is there with a cap on it.

I dont know anything about ECMS but I have been paying attention to the 411 swaps and I might do it in my 98 eventually but the burb will remain stock.

97 Burb
You must be registered for see images attach

98 Sierra