Towing Long Distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know you don't HAVE to pull the car all the way forward on a Uhaul trailer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Even with the 5+1 leaf pack my truck was not happy. I backed it just out of the "chocks", tied it down with regular straps, and swapped the hitch for one with less drop

This towed effortlessly with the bed full of crap. Helping my friend move his last bit of crap here, caught him at a good moment too as you can see.

Depending on how the weight balances out, if it still has enough tongue weight, you can load the car on backwards as well, centering the engines weight over the rear axles. Works well on longer sedans with short valances that would otherwise be too heavy on the nose or drag their front bumpers off. This still had a lot of weight bias toward the tongue. The aluminum V6 is wedged against the firewall in that car so it is deceptive where the weight is and more than 1/2 of the car is forward of the front axle. That was an effortless tow. This also works well on short bed trucks and S10s. The other thing I like to do is let air out of the tires on the vehicle being towed, then use a pair of 10,000 lbs ratchet straps to grab a section of the vehicle that is suspended by the suspension, to preload the suspension of that vehicle to keep it from bouncing around as much. Things get wonky quickly when you have two sets of squishy tires and two sets of springs bouncing around. By preloading the suspension and tires of the vehicle to the trailer, you eliminate a ton of bounce and sway.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I made it to Ohio and back, TRAILER ONLY. The truck I was picking up had rust holes in frame rails, so waste of time money and gas. But I will say the truck handled the trailer fine. Backing up and stuff no issues.
Damn that sucks, you're better than me though. I would've either beat him way down on the price or found something else for sale in the area.
Ya know you don't HAVE to pull the car all the way forward on a Uhaul trailer.

Even with the 5+1 leaf pack my truck was not happy. I backed it just out of the "chocks", tied it down with regular straps, and swapped the hitch for one with less drop

This towed effortlessly with the bed full of crap. Helping my friend move his last bit of crap here, caught him at a good moment too as you can see.
I know loading properly to begin with is really the only way to contend with how the truck handles; but damn I love the bags on my truck. I don't know how I ever towed without them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Damn that sucks, you're better than me though. I would've either beat him way down on the price or found something else for sale in the area.

I know loading properly to begin with is really the only way to contend with how the truck handles; but damn I love the bags on my truck. I don't know how I ever towed without them.

I have some extra bags I've been to lazy to install on mine. But those lower cup dealios are where it's at!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some extra bags I've been to lazy to install on mine. But those lower cup dealios are where it's at!
Daystar cradles, never really cared for the idea of limited spring travel, and since I do get this truck twisted up from time to time I didn't want to run the risk of damaging a bag by over-extending it from flexing out.
Love 'em.
Need to order another set for the Air Lift kit going on the crew cab.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, I mean I drive all that way. There weren’t any more in that area I already checked when having breakfast before heading back. The seller thinks he has this million dollar truck, in my eyes it’s a 4,000 dollar truck knowing it needs a frame off. But it is what it is.