Too Much Steering Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still confused. It went from too stiff (not enough assist) to waaaay to easy (too much assist) by changing gear box. So are there different boxes? I have the pump with the bypass tube instead of an evo so what gear box do I need? The way it is now, I have no feedback feel from the road and when I turn a corner it wants to stay turning. It won't straighten itself out at all. I have to turn the wheel back to straight.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still confused. It went from too stiff (not enough assist) to waaaay to easy (too much assist) by changing gear box. So are there different boxes? I have the pump with the bypass tube instead of an evo so what gear box do I need? The way it is now, I have no feedback feel from the road and when I turn a corner it wants to stay turning. It won't straighten itself out at all. I have to turn the wheel back to straight.

Sounds like a bad box. That you mentioned that it’s also leaking isn’t a good sign of quality control, either.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sounds like a bad box. That you mentioned that it’s also leaking isn’t a good sign of quality control, either.

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
You would remove the old line and put a 96 line on it and screw that line into the adapter. the 96 line already has the right bend so there is no need for that leaky GM adapter. It is a Gates 353950. But I also agree that your steering box might have problems also.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So are there different boxes? I have the pump with the bypass tube instead of an evo so what gear box do I need?

Yes, there are different gear boxes. Either would work in your case. Visually, the main difference is the exposed snap ring at the input (stub) shaft on the 96 and under.

1997+ (EVO)

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a 96, note the exposed snap ring...

You must be registered for see images attach

I run a 96 box (from Bluetop) on a 98 Tahoe with functioning EVO. It’s a noticeably tighter feel.

I had a “rebuilt” Delco that did exactly what yours is doing as far as return to center goes. Test drove it a half mile, turned around and yanked it back out. They either didn’t adjust the preloads at all or did adjust it and didn’t know what they were doing. It didn’t really matter.

Redhead and Bluetop are two manufacturers that have much better repair records. Bluetop rebuilds their boxes in the U.S. and I think Redhead does as well. There are a handful of others.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think my truck has this issue, because the steering seems off compared to the way it was. What sucks is that this is the ONLY GM vehicle we've ever had in our family that the box and pump don't leak! Every other truck we've had, the gearbox started to leak at the pitman arm seal by 75,000 miles or sooner. This one has 184,000 and it is dry as a bone underneath.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think my truck has this issue, because the steering seems off compared to the way it was. What sucks is that this is the ONLY GM vehicle we've ever had in our family that the box and pump don't leak! Every other truck we've had, the gearbox started to leak at the pitman arm seal by 75,000 miles or sooner. This one has 184,000 and it is dry as a bone underneath.

I think we talked about this the other day briefly, but have you tried replacing the EVO sensor on the column? If the rest of the EVO system is still intact that could very well be your only issue.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes I will have to look at this, remind me where this sensor is on the column. Thanks again for your time and help