Too Much Steering Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back I replaced the evo pump with a new one that has the bypass tube Also replaced hoses. The steering was quite stiff like it didn't have enough assist but I drove it like that for a year or so but never was happy with it. Then just recently I replaced all the rest of the steering components. Rag, joint, steering box, pitman, idler, center link, tie rods, but left the pump since it was fairly new. Now there is way, way too much assist. I mean, it takes almost no effort to turn the wheels. So, two questions: Why would it go from too stiff to way to easy? Can I adjust the pressure or flow to make it less assist?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the solution was to use the 95-96 steering gearbox with the EVO pump and delete to keep it from being over assisted.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much assist? That's probably how it's "supposed" to be.

First Guess: The old steering box was faulty. New one isn't.

Second Guess: What you really want is not less pressure, but a stiffer torsion bar in the steering box. Which means "another" steering box; or a rebuild of the one you have.

You could sent the original one off to be custom-built for you; if you still have it.

The EVO system was designed to provide variable assist; but you'll have better road feel through the steering wheel with a stiffer torsion bar. Downside is that Grandma may have trouble at parking-lot speeds.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the solution was to use the 95-96 steering gearbox with the EVO pump and delete to keep it from being over assisted.

Definitely too much assist way too easy to turn the wheel.

When I had the old gear box out I could turn it by hand way easier than the new one so if anything the new one is stiffer.

The other thing I forgot to mention is I have a pretty bad fluid leak and it looks like it's coming from the seal around the input shaft of the new steering box. Another reason I'm thinking too much pressure. So much that it is more than the seals are designed for.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely too much assist way too easy to turn the wheel.

When I had the old gear box out I could turn it by hand way easier than the new one so if anything the new one is stiffer.

The other thing I forgot to mention is I have a pretty bad fluid leak and it looks like it's coming from the seal around the input shaft of the new steering box. Another reason I'm thinking too much pressure. So much that it is more than the seals are designed for.

That or all parts store steering boxes are junk. Next time one of mine dies I'm getting a redhead.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That or all parts store steering boxes are junk. Next time one of mine dies I'm getting a redhead.
True the parts store ones are all probably junk, there are remanufactured AC Delco ones on Rock Auto, or go with RedHead or a new one from AGR.
One could convert everything to the 96 style Rock Auto even has the 96 OEM pump.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
True the parts store ones are all probably junk, there are remanufactured AC Delco ones on Rock Auto, or go with RedHead or a new one from AGR.
One could convert everything to the 96 style Rock Auto even has the 96 OEM pump.

I'm not happy with my AC Delco rebuild. I paid to have it put on a few years ago, when I needed a new pitman arm. I figured I might as well have the box done too. I got the box on Amazon. It was rebuilt in Mexico. It's loose now, and has been for over a year. I haven't done anything about it, as I'm not driving it much now days, because of my commute.

My original is probably in better shape. I'll either send it out to be rebuilt, or possibly flush it, and put it back on as is.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not happy with my AC Delco rebuild. I paid to have it put on a few years ago, when I needed a new pitman arm. I figured I might as well have the box done too. I got the box on Amazon. It was rebuilt in Mexico. It's loose now, and has been for over a year. I haven't done anything about it, as I'm not driving it much now days, because of my commute.

My original is probably in better shape. I'll either send it out to be rebuilt, or possibly flush it, and put it back on as is.
...or make two adjustments in the correct order, and see what happens.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

If the rebuilt gear is leaking, I’d return it. That’s likely your issue and you wouldn’t be the first one to have an overly loose (poorly rebuilt and/or adjusted) steering gear right out of the box. I once had a “rebuilt” Delco one that was a complete tilt-a-whirl.

GM doesn’t require a new steering gear when deleting the EVO system, implying that any pressure difference (if there even is one) is within tolerance.