To stripe or not to stripe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I think the factory pinstripe (tape stripe of course) may have been an option for the Silverado, or could have been included in one of the options package groups. Rawhide, my crew cab, has a faded version of the big'n' little double stripe on his flanks, that looks similar to your truck. I think it was a light gold originally.... truck is Rawhide Metallic which is basically gold. Definitely different than the pewter that so many of these trucks were painted.
I like the pinstripe on your truck, it looks great and accents the body line it's adjacent to.
Thanks for the feedback. I know my first truck bought new didn’t have stripes. ‘94 Silverado with almost the same options as my truck now. I had pinstripes put on back then to match the Lt Autumnwood on the bottom. The top color was Indigo Blue Metallic. Maybe some dealers had it done or maybe there was an option from the factory at some point?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I know my first truck bought new didn’t have stripes. ‘94 Silverado with almost the same options as my truck now. I had pinstripes put on back then to match the Lt Autumnwood on the bottom. The top color was Indigo Blue Metallic. Maybe some dealers had it done or maybe there was an option from the factory at some point?
Probably was a dealer installed option in many cases. Many years ago I knew a couple who did old school painted 'striping as custom work, but their main gig was putting pinstripes in lacquer paint, in complementary color, on every vehicle sold out of a Chevy dealership in Pasadena, Texas, on the east side of Houston. They invited me to join their team, but the commute would have killed all the money(gas was very high at that time and I lived totally the other side of Houston).
The dealership that Rawhide came from, best as I can determine, was on the SW side of Houston, and used to be a huge dealer that had been there for years. I got the owners manual with him but no other documents or the window sticker.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Wind laid down and I was able to get the passenger side done.
You must be registered for see images attach
Normally I am not a fan of the chrome/stainless steel trim on the rocker panels, but on your truck, the way it was installed, it looks like it's a continuation of the ridged rubber trim. So it looks like it belongs there....

ditch bang

Reaction score
. . . that is the question???

I laid this stripe down pretty quickly. Any thoughts, Yea or Nay? It’s just a vinyl stripe so I could yank it off pretty easily if it’s a no.

Looks good .i have that in a 99 . Mine's White I had to paint the grill too much white. Yeah but then when that come out in Chrome that Chrome was the sexy haha

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally I am not a fan of the chrome/stainless steel trim on the rocker panels, but on your truck, the way it was installed, it looks like it's a continuation of the ridged rubber trim. So it looks like it belongs there....
Pretty sure that’s factory chrome on his right? Again, I like the original look anyway. Truck doesn’t need any improvement. IMO. Not a fan of too much makeup. :kiss:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Pretty sure that’s factory chrome on his right? Again, I like the original look anyway. Truck doesn’t need any improvement. IMO. Not a fan of too much makeup. :kiss:
I’ve had the truck just over three years now. The previous one-owner either put the chrome on or had it done. I have the window sticker and it doesn’t say anything about chrome rocker trim. It could have been dealer installed. It’s grown on me. I’d prefer it not be there. It’s not hiding any rust, but I’m not sure what the paint would be like underneath if I removed it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEW off lot look, YES !!!! looks nice !! And well done on the angle tail, and lap at the nose...

Exactly as FBC stated. Normally for me less is more, but thanks to the fact that so many
dealerships added these pinstripes back in the day, it does give that super sanitary truck
the 'right off of the Showroom Floor' look & vibe.

Very nostalgic for yours truly, and your attention to implementation detail is exemplary.

Nice! :waytogo:

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory install on lower chrome panels, likely but not really, anything is possible however, more like a dealer install/ offering, as to pad the final sales, there wasn't much for a dealer to add to these trucks before final sales, my guess PO install as these kits where big for the after market(s) guys to sale and a lot of the older crowd "at that time" really liked that "garnish" like the bed rail caps, Auto Vent Shade products i.e. rain gutters, bug shields etc...

Those are really bad for holding and keeping water/ road grime etc... behind them and causing unwanted problems i.e. rust. There held on with the famous 3M double sided tape, depending on your patience, and good heat gun, a plastic pry tool, they will come off fairly easy and "should" not take any clear or paint with it, I use the heat gun and fishing line method when debadgeing any vehicle with very good results, any residue left is removed w/3M magic eraser wheel, buff and a good carnauba wax job and call it good.

I love the pinstripe on yours, have been debating this on mine with the 2-tone paint job, just have to figure out, chevy orange or red 2 stripes w/top being 1/4" and lower 1/16".

When my Dad had his 89 K2500 ext.cab step side, it was only a month old when I installed the lower chrome rocker moldings, chrome bed caps w/ the chrome tubing on them and the 3 bar chrome roll bar with 6 KC lights on top, and 1 bug shield and silver pin striping and the color of the truck, red with that burgundy interior, man he loved that truck!! He was the cat's meow!! At least thats what Mom said LOL! Man you could see him coming 10 miles away!! Thanks for the trip down memory lane for me!!

Again, awesome looking truck, rock it as you see fit!! and your eye for detail is great!!

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stripe looks good to me

also not a fan of chrome on the rockers unless its a gmt400. no other truck looks right with it except this one. and it looks best on bold colors and i think it looks great on the red. my dad bought a new 93 that was the light blue quasar color (i think) and he had the chrome rockers. it just looks like it was made to be that way on these trucks. i love it on some colors