To all TBI owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Well, it's not the trucks fault. He had one of his other buddies do the lowering spindles and apparently he didn't do a very good job

mike1988

Reaction score
I have an 89 gmc c1500 305 tbi and it has a hard time starting after sitting over night. Its has had timing issues in the past also has 200000+ miles on it. I want to change my timing chain and gears but I've never done a timing chain before. Can anyone tell me what to do or not to do any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
super easy on these trucks, run them up to temp, shut the truck off and then locate the timing wire, 88-93 has it behind the plastic cover on the firewall pass side, it a single light brown wire with black stripe and has a disconnect to it, it will be in the group of wires that are all bundled coming out of the bottom of that cover, for 94-95 it is inside just below the glovebox, you disconnect that and start the engine, with a timing light on cyl 1 you set the timing to 0 on the timing tab(the big indent is 0 if you cant read the tab) by turning the distributor(loosen clamp first), turn off engine and plug timing wire back in and the ecm takes over from that point.

this is for stock small block, for stock 454 you set the timing to 4*btdc

x2 kudos on short version. One thing though, I have always found best results around 8-10*. Any particular reasoning for that?

Another thing I will add to this, if your motor is higher mileage it's worth replacing your timing chain. They do stretch over time and it can make the timing walk around.

x2

I always had the truck running and climb up so that i could twist the distributor while running, once the idle smoothed out i would give it some throttle and see how it responded, once it ran how i felt was how it should be i would tighten the distributor back down, this only works if you dont have to pull the distributor out to adjust it

x2 This is the exact way I have done for years. Even though I have a $185 advanced timing light, I still prefer to do it this way, and then check where it is with the light for reference.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an 89 gmc c1500 305 tbi and it has a hard time starting after sitting over night and its had timing issues in the past also has 200000+ miles on it and I want to change my timing chain and gears but I've never done a timing chain before can anyone tell me what to do or not to do any help would be greatly appreciated

Could you please use punctuation?

mike1988

Reaction score
I have an 89 gmc c1500 305 tbi and it has a hard time starting after sitting over night. Its has had timing issues in the past also has 200000+ miles on it. I want to change my timing chain and gears but I've never done a timing chain before. Can anyone tell me what to do or not to do any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Now?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
theres either a flaw in this timing thing or my truck still hates me. my timing according to the shop is perfect, although when i drive it it bogs down through each gear and stumbles to regain power. meaning it misses and just has an all around rough time until its stable which it then skyrockets itself through rpms until then becoming what it should be.

8-10 degrees i will try next, otherwise sometimes its not always timing.