To all TBI owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
10-4, in that case reset your distributor, may have gotten it a tooth or two off. That's why I love my Pontiacs, distributor is separate and the timing cover and water pump all come off together, among many other supperiorities to Chevrolet engines (don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Chevy's, but would replace them with a Pontiac in a heartbeat)

i had many pontiacs including a 73 sd455, i'll take a chevy any day, pontiac lower ends don't like the rpm's, not nearly as bad as a olds motor but they still get angry easily enough.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
i had many pontiacs including a 73 sd455, i'll take a chevy any day, pontiac lower ends don't like the rpm's, not nearly as bad as a olds motor but they still get angry easily enough.

And that's what I like, low rpm monstrous torque. And you can't compare a Pontiac or Olds (or a Caddy for that matter) to a small block Chevrolet. SBCs are pretty much on their own in the GM family as far as higher-revving V8s (were not talking race or specialty engines either, in that case a mild race-built Pontiac can easily reach 9000+). Pontiacs are (relatively) big-block engines (technically a "standard" block, since they didn't really have a "small block", just "small journal" and "large journal" referring to the mains), the 326-455 line being comparable to the 396-454 (I excluded the 366 since it was a truck-only tall deck engine, and not really a true Mark IV design). That's why I like them (Chevy's) just fine, but give me a choice between a 454 and 455? Poncho every time. Hell, I'd take a 421 over a 454. But I still love the Chevy's. Kind of like having two gorgeous girlies standing right in front of you, a blonde and a brunette. Either one is great, but you have your preference, so you'll choose that one. How high do you rev your Chevy so consistently anyways? I have no problem wrapping my 400s to 6000 RPM (which is plenty, street engines shouldn't see that high RPM very often anyways). Now granted, the planned 455 for my T/A won't like that, but name me a big block Chevy that does.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
And that's what I like, low rpm monstrous torque. And you can't compare a Pontiac or Olds (or a Caddy for that matter) to a small block Chevrolet. SBCs are pretty much on their own in the GM family as far as higher-revving V8s (were not talking race or specialty engines either, in that case a mild race-built Pontiac can easily reach 9000+). Pontiacs are (relatively) big-block engines (technically a "standard" block, since they didn't really have a "small block", just "small journal" and "large journal" referring to the mains), the 326-455 line being comparable to the 396-454 (I excluded the 366 since it was a truck-only tall deck engine, and not really a true Mark IV design). That's why I like them (Chevy's) just fine, but give me a choice between a 454 and 455? Poncho every time. Hell, I'd take a 421 over a 454. But I still love the Chevy's. Kind of like having two gorgeous girlies standing right in front of you, a blonde and a brunette. Either one is great, but you have your preference, so you'll choose that one. How high do you rev your Chevy so consistently anyways? I have no problem wrapping my 400s to 6000 RPM (which is plenty, street engines shouldn't see that high RPM very often anyways). Now granted, the planned 455 for my T/A won't like that, but name me a big block Chevy that does.
the current bbc in my truck pins the tach constantly, its not a good idea with the small rods it has but it puts up with it, the 502 that i was going to build to a 572 i planned on higher revs but i think i will just rebuild the short block and sell it to buy a dart block , the pontiac motors i ran in trans ams years ago never seemed to stay together although the ram air IV 400 in my 70 ta held up fairly well, i would have liked to see how the 1965 chevy 327 hemi or the 427 hemi made that year would have done, it's too bad they never went into production, actually i wish any of the gm brands hemi motors went into production, the olds version looked pretty neat but only 2 were built and one is in the gm museum.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
In my case I am talking stock-for-stock, realistically attainable engines on the average hot-rodders budget. I don't really care about low or no production or built-for-race engines, as I will probably never own them.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
oh i see well if we get back to topic anyime soon, i ran my truck the sever hesitation was still there when cold, but after it warmed up the hesitation wasnt there or barely was.