To all TBI owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ91C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I have not forgotten my promise to do a timing writeup for those of you who said you don't know how. My TBI buddy won't be available until Saturday, so I will do it then and have it up Saturday night or sometime Sunday.

Unless nobody needs it, in which case I won't

id love to see in step pictures and a video would be great!! i got a 91 that stumbles/surges when warm maybe its the timing lets hope so im tired of throw money at sensors

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
id love to see in step pictures and a video would be great!! i got a 91 that stumbles/surges when warm maybe its the timing lets hope so im tired of throw money at sensors

Not to get your hopes up to much, but 3 to 1 it is probably your timing if you've never adjusted it before

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Allrighty boys, here's the skinny -
My buddy is a dumbass and got himself arrested last night for trying to run the guy who hit-and-ran him off the road. The truck was in impound all day, and since I am not family, I couldn't get it out myself. I still don't know if he's been bailed or not, so may be tomorrow, may be not, I'm not sure. He is currently the only TBI truck I have access to, so I can't just use someone else's (and mine is a Vortec).

I apologize, I know I've promised a step-by-step, and it will be done, but so far things have not gone my way on it. I will do my best tomorrow if he is available.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Not to get your hopes up to much, but 3 to 1 it is probably your timing if you've never adjusted it before

if its never been adjusted then it would only be off from timing chain stretch/gear wear and the chain set actually should be replaced

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
heres an offtopic questoin for everyone, excuse me if im out of place just thought itd be better than making a new worthless thread. how does one delete the wiring for the esc and knock sensor? mines gone and i cant find it. if anyone knows like really knows then PM or something please to avoid clutter. help is appreciated.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
if its never been adjusted then it would only be off from timing chain stretch/gear wear and the chain set actually should be replaced

Not necessarily...like I said before, these distributors aren't the most reliable. Since it is an electronic advance, the distributor itself can get out of "whack", Not necessarily turn, but could be giving the wrong signal over time. Yes, the timing chain being stretched will also do it, but will not be the only thing to cause this problem.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Not necessarily...like I said before, these distributors aren't the most reliable. Since it is an electronic advance, the distributor itself can get out of "whack", Not necessarily turn, but could be giving the wrong signal over time. Yes, the timing chain being stretched will also do it, but will not be the only thing to cause this problem.

^^^x2 for that. Our '94 burban was out of whack and it had never been adjusted either- we got another 1 mpg out of it by adjusting the distributor.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
He's on his way to the shop right now. If I don't get it posted tonight, it will be tomorrow.