To all TBI owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
we had to use stock balancers on are dirt cars and i would spin them all the time.. i got smart drilled and put a roll pin to help stop it from doing it again.. now we can run whatever we want..

channelview is east of houston about 30 miles.. im right at I-10 and beltway8

I guess yeah, it would be more common when you're running high RPM constantly. Smart idea pinning it.

Gotcha. Last time I was in that general area I was in Kingwood doing a tank pull

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Does the fact that it was a 2500 4 bolt main block make a difference?

And I figure that because that's what I have it set to.

Let me clarify. The tab marks are in 2 degree increments, so what I guess I was asking was did you eyeball the tab in between 6 and 8 or set it with a digital meter? I'm just curious, I wasn't questioning your intelligence.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Let me clarify. The tab marks are in 2 degree increments, so what I guess I was asking was did you eyeball the tab in between 6 and 8 or set it with a digital meter? I'm just curious, I wasn't questioning your intelligence.

Ohhh, I Gotcha now.

And just eyeball. After I rebuilt it I had to play around with the timing quite a bit and it seems to respond the best to just a bit past 6 BTDC.

We have a digital light, but I prefer to use our old Chrome craftsmen light.

-Via Mobile-

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Just gonna throw this out there cause im pretty sure timing chain is what was wrong with the 96, ses code was random misfire on muliple cylinders

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess yeah, it would be more common when you're running high RPM constantly. Smart idea pinning it.

Gotcha. Last time I was in that general area I was in Kingwood doing a tank pull

lol my motor would stay around 6800 to 7200rpm's for 20 laps just glad they started letting us use a good fluidampr balancer.. there a little on the heavy side but keep the valve train in check..

kingwood is north of me highway 45 area.. but not to far maybe 20 mins or so in good traffic..

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you're replacing the t-chain, I'd highly recommend a double roller with steel gears. Get those nylon gears outa there!
Also, these engines like to tear up distributer gears. Both of my trucks d-gears were as sharp as razors. The play that that results in can also play havoc with the timing. The ses code will indicate a random mis-fire code.

There's some good advice in this thread!

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
If you're replacing the t-chain, I'd highly recommend a double roller with steel gears. Get those nylon gears outa there!
Also, these engines like to tear up distributer gears. Both of my trucks d-gears were as sharp as razors. The play that that results in can also play havoc with the timing. The ses code will indicate a random mis-fire code.

There's some good advice in this thread!

Hey, that's what forums are really for, right? :D

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
And I have not forgotten my promise to do a timing writeup for those of you who said you don't know how. My TBI buddy won't be available until Saturday, so I will do it then and have it up Saturday night or sometime Sunday.

Unless nobody needs it, in which case I won't

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing I will add to this, if your motor is higher mileage it's worth replacing your timing chain. They do stretch over time and it can make the timing walk around.

You sir are so right it can do that. I say you might even check your Cat and fuel pump pressure also if replacing the pump replace with Delphi brand. Maybe do a Seafoam to clean injectors look on You Tube on how to do it. Check timing replace fuel filter and air cleaner.