Tint windows at home???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used NOTHING BUT autozone and wal-mart tint, and NEVER has it turned blue purple or bubbled, NEVER.

Only problems we ever had with any was edge peeling and that was our fault, rough edge or weather strip catching or leavcing it a bit long and the edge just barely loose etc.

As for tint, simple, going to do my truck, 2nd set of hands is best IMO.

clean it all great, over and over, use some thinner if yours have any overspray of paint on them, and some carb cleaner if you have left over old tint or something. usually window cleaner works fine if you don't have old crap to get off or overspray.

soak the window with s soapy dish soap and water mixture in a spray bottle.

when you peel the clear backing off the tint, peel a little, spray that area with the water mix, peel more, spray more etc.

now another tip is to use masking tape on both sides to find this clear backing, tape it on different angles so you can pull your tape apart, then find the clear side, note it and remember it, hold it up and cut it close to the size you need with the clear side facing outwards towards the glass.

You could get it fairly close doing this so less to trim when it's on etc.

once both are soaked good, stick it on the window try to get it in place, then work the water and bubbles out with a squegee.(sp?)

be patience and keep working them towards the outside, dont woprry too much on the outside, work the middle out good and keep it that way, then work the edges, I work from the middle and go all the way out, then go back over the edges. Once it's mostly down you can trim it more, and USE A new SHARP blade, razor, box cutter/utility knife blade, break away etc. When it doesn't cut smooth change it or break it off.

once done cutting make sure the edges are done good again.

I've seen guys use heat guns on the outside to speed up drying and such but I never do. You can also use clear fingernail polish in a few days if any edges are peling or barely up. You usually come in about 1/8 from the window edge to try and avoid lifting edges.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've tinted for 23 years , a lot of prep is important. But if you live where it's hot, tint matters , trust me. I only use ceramic tints which double the heat rejection and excellent color stability. Ya they cost way more but, they will probably outlast your truck. They are backed by lifetime warranty, which I never need to use. They are only two major tint manufacturers in the game, everyone else makes crap. Don,t even get me started on eBay or autozone tint, garbage, cheap crap.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Does GM put very light tint on the WT models from the factory, the reason I asked is because I'm not positive if my windows have any kind of tint on them, if so, do I need to remove it down to the glass to get the new tint to work?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory tint is actually inside/part of the glass, so no you won't have to remove it. I doubt your truck has anything on it now anyways.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heat gun or hair dryer also helps. Can't wait to do my 88s windows, just not ready to try the windshield on my own, thats a big window.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I've tinted for 23 years , a lot of prep is important. But if you live where it's hot, tint matters , trust me. I only use ceramic tints which double the heat rejection and excellent color stability. Ya they cost way more but, they will probably outlast your truck. They are backed by lifetime warranty, which I never need to use. They are only two major tint manufacturers in the game, everyone else makes crap. Don,t even get me started on eBay or autozone tint, garbage, cheap crap.

Suntek FTW!

I have attempted tinting a few time with vatozone/walmart tint and never could get it right. I helped my tint guy do my ol lady's trailblazer and my windshield and that stuff was 100x easier to work with.

Like has been said numerous times in here prep and getting all the air bubbles out is a key part to getting it right. Before doing mine we cleaned it with invisible glass, then sprayed with the soap/water mix, scrubbed with a white scotch bright pad, squeegeed it off, sprayed and squeegeed again, then right before we put the film on it got cleaned again real quick. Once the film is on it was sprayed then the whole thing squeegeed down to remove all the air bubbles and used the heat gun on any areas that gave us problems. Both trucks came out great with no bubbles, peeling, or dust spots. The guy I use has a computer controlled tint cutter which is nice and made things a lot quicker.