About to bring another one home.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Reaction score
Hey all, been a member since I bought my 97 k1500 Cheyenne, but sold it to my dad not too long after that and have been back. Now, I’ve got another 98 k1500 begging me to bring it home. It’s a W/T, short bed single cab. It’s rough, but fairly low miles at 145k. 4.3, automatic and of course 4x4. It’s an ex paper company truck turned farm truck, so it’s a little rough. Story is that it was left in gear, running, and rolled into a pond. Guy couldn’t get it running and gave up. My dad bought it for $500 for parts, but is willing to sell it to me for $500 if we can get it running. Comes with a clean title too. Got some pictures, let me know what yall think. Can it be saved, or am I too optimistic? It’s not rusty at all, but unfortunately he did smash the front end with the tractor while he was moving it around. It is 100% complete except for the rear glass.
You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Reaction score
Few more pics, interior isn’t terrible other than being farm truck, pond water dirty.

bigcountry78

Reaction score

Last couple. Pretty sure the air filter housing is in the cab. Like I said, complete except for the rear glass. The tailgate is in the bed, but probably to beat to be used.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Man, that has lived a ROUGH 145k miles.

Anything is fixable its just how much do you want to put into it. At the very least you should cover up that back window ASAP to avoid any more interior damage. Then you could start cleaning to see how well the inside cleans up.

How deep was it in the pond? Enough to suck up water and possibly hydrolock?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's rot free, you can get it running fairly easily, and driving semi-OK then yeah, that's a deal for $500 even if it does need a bunch of cleaning and other sorts of aesthetic work.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Few more pics, interior isn’t terrible other than being farm truck, pond water dirty.

" isn't terrible" - You operate under different definitions than I do... that is rough.

Keep us posted, could be a fun project. You are more ambitious than me. But frankly you might be better off with a 1500 dollar truck as a starting point, that extra $1000 is probably worth 3000 of less headache and heartache.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would not want it and would not pay anything for it. That truck needs a tremendous amount of work. Engine probably hydrolocked. Transmission needs a rebuild. Floorpan probably rusted (expect nothing less when you peel back the vinyl mat). Electrical connections probably all corroded. Body work galore.

Good luck, but I'd have to ask, why? After all the amount of money you invest just to get it running, you could spend less to buy a running GMT400 in better condition on Facebook Marketplace.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd give $500 for a parts truck. This one hardly qualifies for that, as the usual needed parts are already beat.
True, anything "can" be fixed, but this one is beyond my "fix point".
It's ultimately your choice, and if you choose to fix it up, we'll help ya with the gremlins, but it's going to be a long road.