About to bring another one home.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hmm... Michigander here who sees no cancer on the cab corners or wheel lips. So that's mighty tempting as a beater truck for me, especially since it's a regular cab short box 4x4. Did the entire truck go for a swim or just the nose? I'd be willing to lay some money down if the engine turns freely.

bigcountry78

Reaction score
I don’t know how deep the truck went. I’ve been told that the last guy changed the fluids and tried to get it running, that it would turn over but wouldn’t fire. That’s about the best I can give ya because that’s all I know. I do wish the guy hadn’t smacked the front with a tractor, but what can ya do. My plans for it would be get it running, replace the hood, grill and drivers door, and use it for hauling trash and homeowner stuff. I’m wanting to sell my Nissan titan and get back into a Chevy, preferably a cheap one I can pay cash for.

The drivers floor is solid, I could see it because the rubber mat is worn out. Rocker panels and cab corners are solid too. That’s the kicker, it’s rough but it’s not rusty. I’m still on the fence, but I love me a shortbed single cab 4x4.

Step one is to get it under a shed so the rain doesn’t get in the window. Then I’ll pull spark plugs and make sure all water is out of the cylinders and that it turns over. Then I’ll move onto ignition and see if we have fire. Supposedly the last guy is notoriously cheap and just didn’t want to spend anything to get it running again. I also don’t know how mechanically inclined he is, so he may have missed something small that’s important.

I’m not obligated to buy it, just something I’m curious about. Wanted to get some input from some 400 guys too.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how deep the truck went. I’ve been told that the last guy changed the fluids and tried to get it running, that it would turn over but wouldn’t fire. That’s about the best I can give ya because that’s all I know. I do wish the guy hadn’t smacked the front with a tractor, but what can ya do. My plans for it would be get it running, replace the hood, grill and drivers door, and use it for hauling trash and homeowner stuff. I’m wanting to sell my Nissan titan and get back into a Chevy, preferably a cheap one I can pay cash for.

The drivers floor is solid, I could see it because the rubber mat is worn out. Rocker panels and cab corners are solid too. That’s the kicker, it’s rough but it’s not rusty. I’m still on the fence, but I love me a shortbed single cab 4x4.

Step one is to get it under a shed so the rain doesn’t get in the window. Then I’ll pull spark plugs and make sure all water is out of the cylinders and that it turns over. Then I’ll move onto ignition and see if we have fire. Supposedly the last guy is notoriously cheap and just didn’t want to spend anything to get it running again. I also don’t know how mechanically inclined he is, so he may have missed something small that’s important.

I’m not obligated to buy it, just something I’m curious about. Wanted to get some input from some 400 guys too.
I there's signs that the cab and engine bay have been mostly or fully submerged I'd walk away. Water does weird shìt to wiring, sometimes those issues never go away.

bigcountry78

Reaction score
I there's signs that the cab and engine bay have been mostly or fully submerged I'd walk away. Water does weird shìt to wiring, sometimes those issues never go away.
I get that. I’ll pull the fuses and relays and see if there is any signs of corrosion. I’ve been working on vehicles for the better part of 25 years so I have a good idea of what to look at and for before I jump off the deep end. But, this will be my second attempt at something that’s been sunk so I’m open to suggestions and concerns.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a parts truck, but definitely worth $500. The downside is that if you want to get that on the road, your front and rear windows are going to cost you $500.

The engine turns over? Great! It could be worse! This is the original engine that came out of WCJr. I had to beat the pistons out with my mini-sledge. It got a .030" overbore and reassembled.

You must be registered for see images attach

Does it have compression? If so, I'd move on to checking the fuel pressure and checking for spark.

bigcountry78

Reaction score
Update. So according to my dad the thing was totally submerged, so this truck is probably a write off. Sucks to see a good truck die, but I guess we can’t save them all.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Sucks to see a good truck die, but I guess we can’t save them all.

... "Good Truck" :33:

Still a good parts truck, the drivetrain should still be ok with fresh fluids but that body is rough! And it'll never have fully functional electronics being fully submerged.

If you can get it running, it would be a solid candidate for mounting a snow plow up front tho