Tint windows at home???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Due to the privacy, good looks, and shade provided by window tint, I long ago decided that I had to have tinted windows on my 98 ecsb. But of course I'm cheap as hell and I love the satisfaction of doing things myself, so I want to attempt to install my own tint. The reason for this post is I wanna see if anyone else has tried this and to hopefully get a few tips to get me started. So...if anyone could offer any suggestions on how to do this, please let me know! Thanks.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Patience and alot of soapy water. Ive done several of my vehicles. A goo quality tint is a must, not walmart or autozone tint. get some good quility online! Heres a pic of my old jeep, you can see my mess up on the back window. It looked good from far, but far from good! but im rather impatient!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a kit that's all pre cut for my truck but I haven't installed it yet. I've done it once on my Blazer, but haven't gotten around to doing it on my Tahoe.

You can buy it all pre cut for your specific vehicle right on ebay.

You'll also want to check the laws in your state. If there is a variance in what the law says about front to back and you tint them both the same you'll probably get hassled.

If you black out the rear windows and do say a 35% on the front you probably won't get hassled.

TheBigMortboski

World's Tallest Midget
Reaction score
Just find tint that is spelled with three m's.

I'm not sure why the tint at autozone is crap, but it is. If you can actually make it look good from the start, it won't stay that way. It'll turn blue and bubble real soon. I'm sure someone will come on here and say, "No way, bro, I put that stuff on three years ago and it looks great still!" Good for him, but I guarantee that all the crap tint jobs out there were DIY cheapo jobs.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Yes mine turned blue and was bubbling! And with a good quality tint it won't crease as easy!

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
most the places around here only charge about 50 bucks to give you the precut sheets for a certain vehicle. then i was told by them they use a squirt bottle filled with warm water and a few drops of baby shampoo to spray, just keep it wet and smooth it out, i also recommend a good squeegy

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
most the places around here only charge about 50 bucks to give you the precut sheets for a certain vehicle. then i was told by them they use a squirt bottle filled with warm water and a few drops of baby shampoo to spray, just keep it wet and smooth it out, i also recommend a good squeegy

X2 and you may possibly need a heat gun or blow dryer.

WPsharpshooter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive always paid to have it done.. Id much rather spend the money to do it right than me F it up and it cost more.. Buy once cry once... My last ride was tinted for 8 yrs (then sold it) and looked as good as the day it was put on..