Timing trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have an 85 k10. Took a 350 out of an 89 k1500. The 89 was TBI, I'm trying to put a holley 600 on it. But I can't get the timing right. New cap,wires and plugs. Need some ideas to get me on the right track please
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're no longer going to run it with the computer, ditching the TBI for a carb, etc. you need a different distributor too. Need one with both vacuum and mechanical advance. What are you doing for a fuel pump?

Richard

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're no longer going to run it with the computer, ditching the TBI for a carb, etc. you need a different distributor too. Need one with both vacuum and mechanical advance. What are you doing for a fuel pump?

Richard

Haha. Just saved me a bunch of typing.

Reaction score
I put my old cap and rotor on it. And I've got a lift pump on it with two 5 psi electric pumps from the tanks. Cause the old motor was starving for fuel.

ernjohn

Reaction score
when you say that you're having trouble timing it, please elaborate.

The vacuum advance is disconnected, right?

Is it an aftermarket HEI distributor or one that was original for the '85? What engine rpm are you timing it at? Is the distributor hold-down clamp secure?
Are the mechanical advance weights in the disitributor able to move smoothly?

for the vacuum advance - after you set inital timing - it should be connected to a ported vacuum source NOT manifold vacuum.

Reaction score
The distributor is stock for the 85. Got it off the shelf at napa after messing with the old one for a couple days. The cap and rotor are new and so are the plugs. The carb is rebuilt holley 600 cfm and is only initially tuned because I can't keep the vehicle running for more than a couple minutes. I've made sure the timing marks are aligned on the crank and cams. I have the firing order correct and I have good compression, and spark in all 8 cylinders. But the engine still back fires, and I've rotated it 180 about 3 different times. I get around 32 psi on my vacuum gauge. I've been messing with it for a week now and it's still flooding the cylinders and my crank case. I don't claim to be a good mechanic but I'm at my whits end with this truck and both google and my book are worn out haha. Need help and any ideas.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Pull out your spark plugs and put your finger over the #1 spark plug hole. Get a buddy with a long ratchet to turn the engine with the crankshaft bolt until you feel compression. Stop just as the compression stops pushing on your finger. This is approx. top dead center. Mark your distributor base with a sharpie where the #1 plug tower is, pull the cap off, put your distributor in and line up your rotor with the mark previously made on the base. Make sure the distributor engages the oil pump drive shaft. Put your hold down on it and tighten it where you can still move the base, but it is stiff to turn. Replace cap and check plug wires for proper sequence. Should be close enough right there to run where you can fine tune it. If it will still not run, I'd suggest trying a known good carb off a running engine on it and seeing if thats where the problem is.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds more like a fuel issue. Which Holley carb? Are float levels set correctly?

Reaction score
I'll try your finger trick 98-k1500, I never made sure it was on the compression stroke, I guess I just figured the mark on the balancer was correct, thanks for the idea. And to Iownjunk, the holley is a model 1460 looked to see if could adjust the floats but I didn't see a way other than a different spring or stretching it. I never had a problem with the carb, I maybe had 200 miles with it before I snapped a rod in the previous engine. Is there a way to adjust the floats on this carb?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If your fuel pressure is too high, it could push the needles/floats down and flood the engine, make sure this is not your problem. If you get the time set pretty close and its still acting a fool, I would look elsewhere for issues.