Third break light stays on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kutthroat

Reaction score
I swapped my acceories wiring harness in my 1995 c1500 so I can get power windows converted and in the afternoon my neighbor noticed my third break light was on has anyone had this happened I pulled the first fuse in the ip cluster to shut it off but now I'm curious what could be the problem

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Center High Mounted Stop Light has its own power relay that is triggered from the signal in the brake light switch. If it doesn't go out, you either have power going to the control side of the relay, or power on the wire that powers the CHMSL. The schematic is from a 98, but should be somewhat similar. The highlighted portion is the control circuit from the main brake light circuit to the CHMSL relay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830-230140~2.png
    Screenshot_20230830-230140~2.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Foxtrot ing bears out there, was going to check it out, I thought that was the cargo lamp thingy>.

Kutthroat

Reaction score
The Center High Mounted Stop Light has its own power relay that is triggered from the signal in the brake light switch. If it doesn't go out, you either have power going to the control side of the relay, or power on the wire that powers the CHMSL. The schematic is from a 98, but should be somewhat similar. The highlighted portion is the control circuit from the main brake light circuit to the CHMSL relay.
Thanks for your help I'll have to look into it more but after pressing in the break and releasing it a couple times everything just returned to normal