Low beams only stay on for 20 seconds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfletch

Reaction score
Hey guys, having an issue with the 94 Yukon. I have turn signals and high beams, but when I turn the truck on the low beams only stay on for around 10 seconds then shut off and won't come back on.

I've checked the fuses and also replaced the headlight switch, which didn't fix the issue.

Anyone had this problem?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, having an issue with the 94 Yukon. I have turn signals and high beams, but when I turn the truck on the low beams only stay on for around 10 seconds then shut off and won't come back on.

I've checked the fuses and also replaced the headlight switch, which didn't fix the issue.

Anyone had this problem?
But rhey work if you immediately restart the truck? How about if you turn the truck off then manually turn them on

jfletch

Reaction score
But rhey work if you immediately restart the truck? How about if you turn the truck off then manually turn them on
Just went and checked. Seems like they only come on if the truck sits a while. But they always come on when cold and the shut off after a few seconds. They worked for about 10 seconds after I installed the new switch then haven't turned back on again. Thats been about 2 hours.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can you confirm or the headlamp high beams work as normal, a non work truck has 9005 high beams and 9006 low beams. A bad filament COULD potentially do this. But it’s unlikely both sides would at the same time. If high beams do to, it sounds like wiring or a relay are bad

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '94 so I don't recall any factory relays for low or high beam, the full power of the circuit is routed through the headlight switch itself and the dimmer switch down low on the column between the dash and firewall. That dimmer switch could possibly be suspect, or oxidized connections at its socket. Kinda spitballin' here on an uncommon issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

jfletch

Reaction score
It's a '94 so I don't recall any factory relays for low or high beam, the full power of the circuit is routed through the headlight switch itself and the dimmer switch down low on the column between the dash and firewall. That dimmer switch could possibly be suspect, or oxidized connections at its socket. Kinda spitballin' here on an uncommon issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
I was thinking the dimmer switch was the only link between the 2 I'll have to see if I can see any corrosion. Im not finding much info online about replacing that dimmer switch at the base of the column it looks like a pita!

Thanks for the help

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking the dimmer switch was the only link between the 2 I'll have to see if I can see any corrosion. Im not finding much info online about replacing that dimmer switch at the base of the column it looks like a pita!

Thanks for the help
It's really not that bad of a job, but I also haven't seen many go bad.

One word of advice if you do replace it, is tape that actuator rod to the column tube securely then slip the switch away from it. You've got room to do so on the other side of the steering column bracket. The opposite end of that rod inside the steering column isn't really attached firmly to anything and you don't want it to slip out and potentially be a pain to get back in place. It's been forever since I've had to touch one of those switches (again, they rarely seem to go bad) but I believe it clips into place on that bracket, which also holds the ignition switch, and is adjustable - so you might resist the temptation to go unbolting the bracket if you can avoid it. Editing to fix my poor memory on it - the switch is indeed mounted on a bracket with those adjustable slots, so just pay attention to the witness marks as you line it back up. IIRC the ignition switch snaps into a fixed bracket right next to it. Man, being hands-off these trucks for too long is messing with my head.

You could probably just start by popping the connector off and shooting it with some DeOxit. A new switch is less than $10 but likely to not be the same quality switch that has already lasted you all these decades.

Richard

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a thermal circuit breaker doing it's job. If there is a higher than expected load the bi-metal strip contact will heat up and pull away from the fixed contact and open the circuit breaker. Once it has time to cool down it will work again, unless the reason for the high current draw is still there and it will heat and break contact again. I would suggest looking for a short in your low beam wiring that would cause a higher than usual current draw.

jfletch

Reaction score