LED bulb causing alternator & prk brk stay lit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So full circle back to an earlier problem as ive gone thru several designs on custom clusters . I installed dash indicator lights , which appear to be around t3/t4 size.

All of them work great except for the park brake & alternator. They stay (dimly) or sometimes (half) bright. I know there is a parasitic draw from somewhere causing the led to do it. Ssen a few posts on here about it.

While searching online today i ran across an article aboit adding a 510 ohm resister; then saw there is one on the factory gage cluster. Is that what this resistor is needed for ? Thanks in advance on any help.

Attachments

• IMG_6733.png
    IMG_6733.png
    924.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6732.png
    IMG_6732.png
    968 KB · Views: 3

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The resistor is there to excite the alternator in the event the battery indicator bulb goes out, as the alternator is "turned on" by that circuit. Interesting that the parking brake light stays lit... The only one that does on mine is the ABS because it can't be an LED... Has to be incandescent or it never goes out.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The resistor is there to excite the alternator in the event the battery indicator bulb goes out, as the alternator is "turned on" by that circuit. Interesting that the parking brake light stays lit... The only one that does on mine is the ABS because it can't be an LED... Has to be incandescent or it never goes out.
I honestly tried finding some incandecent indicators , but to no avail now That incandescents are not for sale anymore. The parking brake doesnt stay on all the time like alternator, but it does come on at times then go off. I dont have abs on this truck

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alternator is "turned on" by that circui
i knew it used the circuit to work; so i wonder if the LED is staying on because power is running thru it. Thats where im stumped is getting it to only be on if the circuit is dropped to the alt. Like its supposed to

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
For the brake light, you might have a wire loose somewhere then... Check your parking brake, the connector on it might be grounding out randomly. Also check your brake fluid level. I know there's a pressure switch near the combination valve but idk what it actually detects lol.

I'm not sure on the alt light, I'm pretty sure mine stayed off... Any chance maybe you have the bulb in reversed? I have my alt powered by the PCM now tho so I can't test this theory lol.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? Why would you make that kind of statement?
You must be registered for see images attach

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also i cant make those work in the indicator housing

Attachments

• IMG_0704.png
    IMG_0704.png
    521.6 KB · Views: 5

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you ever heard " a little knowledge is dangerous" ?
Your " incandescent bulbs rule change ", is about household lighting, large bulb, lamp ".
Not wedge, bayonet, automotive, mine, Maritime.
The purpose is saving energy on the national grid.