Big 3 cable upgrade crashes into ohm's law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AWG (American wire gauge) hasn’t been standardized. Comparing two different brands in the same gauge might get you the same “size” cable but when you compare the actual stranded wires inside the insulation, I’ve seen as big of a difference as half!
Maybe so, but AWG is size, not number of strands, including solid wire. So, it is standardized :waytogo: Plus NEC doesn't care how many strands in the wire (solid core and aluminum are rated differently), it still rates them the same.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but AWG is size, not number of strands, including solid wire. So, it is standardized :waytogo: Plus NEC doesn't care how many strands in the wire (solid core and aluminum are rated differently), it still rates them the same.
I guess I could’ve worded it differently lol.
Speaking of battery cable sized wires 8awg to 4/0
If you’ll grab some 2awg “welding cable” from a parts store then grab a cheap 2awg “amp kit” from the internet somewhere, you’ll find the outside diameter of the insulation to be close to the same dimension but the inside dimension of the actual copper wire could be as little as half in the cheap stuff. Just as an example, just what I’ve experienced

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Words are hard
This is what I’m talking about
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m confident 5vortec7 used high quality wires and parts. I’m also glad to help a “local” manufacturer.