The truck got stuck :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine don't roar and the tires don't spin. Red Dust; my '89 350 TBI Sportside won't start :(

I thought - since longer periods laying in bad weather have given some cranking issues in past - that problem is electrical, this dispite the fact that once earlier I got it running and starting ok till next morning by dropping done petrol down the hatch.

Now plugs, leads and dist cap have been replaced with new. There is spark and I can hear the petrol pump (less than 18 months old) running under the bed when the key is turned to on.

So, obviously this is petrol related problem. Clogged filter/line? Something to do with those multiple electrical trickeries that seem to cover the TBI??

Ideas, suggestions on where to go next appreciated!

-J

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Check and see if your injectors are spraying fuel. Sounds like a pickup coil in the distributor to me. That's what controls the injectors.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^
There is no visible fuel spray coming when cranking. We had the filter cover off, I turned the key and my brother observed.

-J

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd suspect the ignition module before the pickup coil. Module goes out far more often. Before just guessing at replacing it though you may want to check your fuel pressure to be sure you're actually getting something from the pump. Pressure spec is 9~13 PSI.

If you replace the module be sure to clean off the old thermal compound from the distributor base, and apply a thin but even layer of new stuff to the module. Not too much. It must be thermal compound (a.k.a. "heat sink grease"); don't let anybody sell you dielectric grease like it's the same thing. It won't do the job.

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
If a dose of fuel down the throttle body won't make her fire off, I'd say ignition. If it does, It either needs more fuel pressure, or the injectors are not opening (electrical issue). We had one with a bad pickup coil that would run if you poured gas in it to get it started, but if you cut it off, it would not start back without pouring more gas down the throttle body. The pickup coil was working, but would not pick up at low rpm (engine cranking). If it had been a manual, we could have pulled it off and got enough engine speed to get it to pick up and fire off.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^
Thanks guys! How would faulty ignition module behave? One plug out and cranking did show spark on at least that cylinder. Does that rule ignition module out?

As said, it started and did run fine with pouring petrol for once. Afterwards it also started several times with no problem. However, now this does not work anymore. Could this point towards the pickup coil?

-J

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^
When it did start once, it started right away. Now it does not, no promises, coughing or anything.

I don't think I'm missing the throat or using too little/too much.

-J

98_k1500

Reaction score
You may have an ignition problem then. May want to have the module tested (oreillys /autozone will test these for free)

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, as you've probably sniffed out, I'm pretty lost as soon as one moves further from simple set-up of Webers and Lodge plugs :(

So, to recap: If I crank the engine and there is fuel feed there should be fuel spray visible in the bowl when filter cover is off?

Now I can't see this -> fuel issue?

If one plug shows spark when cranking the ignition module is working? Or does the module control the process beyond this??

Maybe I have multiple issues, would seem very strange though.

My neck of woods is scarce for shops with expertice in US vehicles. So, I must try to resolve and identify this as far as possible before ordering parts.

-J