The old farm truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brand new battery (or trusty jump starter) and fresh oil before winter... not just for GMT400 but anything that'll see sub-0 temps regularly is needed. May not need the jump starter but when you do, its there.
Sucks, once the single digit temps hit.... Anything with no maintenance goes out at worst times...

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Sucks, once the single digit temps hit.... Anything with no maintenance goes out at worst times...

I literally laughed at this!

I agree 100%

I dont have car payments so I purposely put at least 1 car payment into each winter vehicle during summer to keep up with anything that it 'could' need during the freezing months.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Doesn't even have to be single digits, just has to be way colder than what the vehicle/machine is used to. Been having crazy problems with both mine, mainly batteries, but Burb decided to lose all his oil right after starting, this past Monday morning, when it was 27° actual temperature.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Doesn't even have to be single digits, just has to be way colder than what the vehicle/machine is used to. Been having crazy problems with both mine, mainly batteries, but Burb decided to lose all his oil right after starting, this past Monday morning, when it was 27° actual temperature.

I just thought about something since you keep up with your trucks pretty well HWB...

I bet the south doesn't have 'winter blend' gas like we do up here. It has extra volatiles to help ignite during sub-0 temps.

I have been able to fire up my 93 TBI 305 and 97 454 at -40 before without anything more than maybe a boost from a LiIon Jumper box (-40 is the same F and C)

Maybe you southern folks could add some additive to help ignite when you have a cold snap forecasted

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I just thought about something since you keep up with your trucks pretty well HWB...

I bet the south doesn't have 'winter blend' gas like we do up here. It has extra volatiles to help ignite during sub-0 temps.

I have been able to fire up my 93 TBI 305 and 97 454 at -40 before without anything more than maybe a boost from a LiIon Jumper box (-40 is the same F and C)
We do have "winter blend" but it's probably not the same standard/spec as y'all's is. Normally we don't see much freezing weather down here, not like we've had this past ten days. Was 36° this morning, with a feels like of 25°. Only got up to 41-42° and overcast all day, and not it's starting raining. Supposed to rain off and on all week.....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
yea, thats definitely not the same gas that we have up here... just as a reference

20f to 80f is the same as 20f to -40f.

-6.6c to 26.7c is the same as -6.6c to -40c
Once I get em started, they run fine(well Burb did till he sprung that leak; still gotta figure that out but it's gotta quit raining first). I think the biggest issue is these batteries are not as good as they should be (though both are pretty new). And the alarm/kill switch is involved somehow in the crew cab, maybe the alarm is acting goofy because of the cold?