The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 @ 2/4 didn't ride any firmer than stock.
Spindles use original length shocks with original springs.
Hangers & shackles in the rear.
Rear = stock 'style' (compression/rebound) 2" shorter shocks.
All that that suspension stuff did was move the wheels up into the body a bit. Nothing done to the springs.

The vehicle is suspended by the springs.
Shocks control the springs action/reaction.
With the stock springs all round, the suspension only became firmer after the addition of some proper performance-oriented shocks actually designed for lowered vehicles.
I was thinking drop coils in the front, but agreed if you're using spindles.
The hangers and shackles change the arch in the leaf though don't they? That would make it ride more stiffly.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have a set of qa1 single adjustable coil overs on the front and if properly set up they ride better than factory

As for widest tire you can tuck, a 315 is absolutely pushing it, mine is 315/35r20 in the back and that gives me about 1/2” space between the tire and leaf spring and the outer most part of the tire is about 1/2” from being flush with the edge of the fender

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I was thinking drop coils in the front, but agreed if you're using spindles.
The hangers and shackles change the arch in the leaf though don't they? That would make it ride more stiffly.
Nope. All the shackles & hangers do is move the springs up 2" in front & 2" more in the rear. No effect to the arch of the spring.
But...
For some reason, just using the the shackles does not mess with the pinion angle enough to cause probs with drive line vibrations.
The combo of the 2 does.
Not sure if if it's the combo of the shackles & hangers, or, if it's the hangers themselves. I've never installed just hangers & I can't see why anybody would when the simplicity of the shackle install nets the same result.
Pinion angle seems to be the only problem with the 2/4 drop.
Well...there is the install hassle. That driver side hanger is a major PitA.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
As for widest tire you can tuck, a 315 is absolutely pushing it, mine is 315/35r20 in the back and that gives me about 1/2” space between the tire and leaf spring and the outer most part of the tire is about 1/2” from being flush with the edge of the fender
1/2" from flush with the inner edge of the lip or flush with the outer edge of the body?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So with the offset of the wheels that you have, do you think that the 315's would fit on a 6" drop with the lips rolled?
Mines @ 7", but if I can get the 315's to fit a 6" drop, they'll fit a 7".

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with the offset of the wheels that you have, do you think that the 315's would fit on a 6" drop with the lips rolled?
Mines @ 7", but if I can get the 315's to fit a 6" drop, they'll fit a 7".
I think with the fenders rolled as far as u can then a 6” drop would be fine, I'm on a 4” drop
My wheel is 20x11 +43 offset with a 1.25” spacer

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have a set of qa1 single adjustable coil overs on the front and if properly set up they ride better than factory

Could I get some side shots of your truck? It almost looks like the exact stance I'm after and having a visual will help when I take it in to get the suspension worked on.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could I get some side shots of your truck? It almost looks like the exact stance I'm after and having a visual will help when I take it in to get the suspension worked on.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Likely answered before and likely some examples but, can you lower a 4x4 truck or should I save money and buy a 2wd truck and use the money saved on more lowering. All of this is for my knowledge, and who knows I might lower my 94 4x4